Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

How to deal with DC offset and replace it by AC-signal

Status
Not open for further replies.

Poison_83

Newbie level 6
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
Hello!

I need a little help with some analog design, my signal is a low frequency-signal about 0.2 - 5 Hz (~500mV pk-pk) with an DC offset for a couple of volts (2-4 V). This DC-level is not constant, it drops slowly over time.
Now I want to get rid of this DC-level and want my AC-signal lay between 0-1V (in this example).
To be clear, I want the min-value of the AC-signal to be my new baseline and want the signal to be positive.
How should I deal with this baseline problem, OP Amp feedback in some way?
Thanks...

/P83

Re: DC Offset

Poison_83 said:
Hello!

I need a little help with some analog design, my signal is a low frequency-signal about 0.2 - 5 Hz (~500mV pk-pk) with an DC offset for a couple of volts (2-4 V). This DC-level is not constant, it drops slowly over time.
Now I want to get rid of this DC-level and want my AC-signal lay between 0-1V (in this example).
To be clear, I want the min-value of the AC-signal to be my new baseline and want the signal to be positive.
How should I deal with this baseline problem, OP Amp feedback in some way?
Thanks...

/P83

You mean 'Offset-Null'?

Go to this link and check Figure 11...

Hmm, didn't see your link! I'm totaly new here so maybe I don't know where to look or maybe I'm just blind?

But don't you use the "Offset-Null" to eliminate the internal offset-failure in the OP with a pot or something.
Maybe this way would work if the DC-level is stable, but in my example it is slowly sinking all the time.

AC-COUPLING + DC RESTORATION (clamped capacitor)

DC Offset

Since your AC component is very low in frequency (0.2Hz), it makes this task challenging. What you need is essentially a highpass filter with a corner frequency of something like 0.1Hz. This can be achieved with switched capacitor circuits, or with an active filter.

hi

hi to solve the offset problem you have to use a cpacitor
if you want to just pass the positive portion of your signal you have to use half wave diode rectifier:idea:

i reckon if you use a coupling capacitor and filter (if it needed only) , the problem may solve.

DC Offset

Thank you for you answers.

When you say I can use only a capacitor, in what size should this be if I want my signal (~0.2-5Hz) not to be distorted in any way? Is this possible?

My idea was some kind of active filtering but I dont know what type of filter or values to get the cutoff frequency so low and without destroying the original signal.

Status
Not open for further replies.