Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

How to calculate power dissipation in Hspice?

Status
Not open for further replies.

edafisher

Junior Member level 3
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
When using Hspice, the simulation report gives this data:

**** voltage sources
subckt
element 0:vagnd 0:vvcc
volts 0. 1.900e+00
current 0. -1.528e-05
power 0. 2.903e-05

here vcc is a voltage source. i just wonder what does the current really mean here. since through the .meas measurement, i found this current equals neither the avg current nor rms current, and its value is less than both of them. could anyone tells how is this current calculated, could the power showed here used as the "power dissipation".
futher, how do you usually calculate a "power dissipation", i'm a little doubted of the power, and rather prefer to use voltage multiply the avg current as power dissipation.

power in hspice!

yes, power dissipation is cakcykated by voltage multiplying the avg current.
And the result is bias current, ie dc result.

Re: power in hspice!

Hi.
Actually in many applications, the current drawn from voltage supply is not always constant over time. In such circuits, you should integrate total drawn current on a period of time and then divide it by T (period time). the resulting current would be the average current drawn from Vdd (voltage supply).
Total power dissipation = Iavg × Vdd

This integration over time is done easily in Avanwaves or you can perform the integration in HSpice itself.

Regards,
EZT

power in hspice!

In the transient analysis , the current is changing with the time, but they have the transient relation that is showing:Transient power dissipation = Itran × Vdd

power in hspice!

P=I*V, please check

Status
Not open for further replies.