Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

help with my project..am lost-usb battery charger

Status
Not open for further replies.

sandy_m2k2

Junior Member level 3
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
hi everyone..

can i get some help with my project :

Intelligent microprocessor controlled
battery charger with USB interface

The info provided by the supervisor is:

This project will complete the design and build of a sophisticated battery charger for NiMH or NiCd AA cells, aiming for a very low
component cost by implementing as much of the complexity as possible in an ARM microprocessor, probably using a Buckconfiguration
SMPS controlled digitally. The software will be implemented in C using the Keil ARM IDE providing a very high
quality simulated development environment - & downloaded to a flash programmable microcontroller.

ADVICE ABOUT THE CIRCUIT FROM THE SUPERWISER

Here is a simple analog circuit for your batt chargers.The
precise values of FETs used, and of resistors, are open to negotiation
but these should work. Use TO220 pinout FETs for
testing prototype, since these are easy to solder & replace.
The 0.47 resistor must be a power resistor, the 0.1 resistor must be power if high charging currents (>2A) are used. Otherwise 1/3W are fine.

I enclose an EAGLE library with a TC1427, and two FETs, N & P channel, in TO220 outlines. These components will work for you to make PCBs, or just to make your own circuit diagrams with PCB layout later.
When using EAGLE you will also need parts from the EAGLE libraries, specifically:
RLC, reistors and capacitors. You need to check size or resistors and capacitors and use a suitable component.
Use wirepad library for copper pad connections.
If you use a schottky diode (maybe not necessary) any schottky diode with the same size (approx) can be renames and used from the Eagle libraries.
For resistors you must calculate max av power and ensure you get a suitable resistor.
For capacitors multilayer ceramic will do for all. The only issue is what is the lead pitch - normally 0.1" or 0.2" (2.5 or 5 mm).
The inductor must also be chosen. Find one which will stand high enough currents and which is designed for switching PSU. Check RS or Farnell. You can calculate what inductance you need. There will probably be a vaguely compatible component from the Eagle libraries -in some cases all that matters is the lead pitch

I am NOT a good student and am totally lost.Pls someone help me cos otherwise i will flunk

The description of your "project" looks like a comercial product description.

Where did you take it from ?

By,

GuillerMo (AR)

This is what was on the project description sheet given by the supervisor

can anybody help me get started

i need to submit the report by first week of feb and i am totally lost..pls someone guide me in the rite direction

sandy_m2k2

Helpful Answer Positive Rating
ok..now how do i go abt designing the component values if i want to use the same circuit as tat in the avr mcontroller???

Added after 1 minutes:

i am facing another problem..since i have to use the usb power for charging as well as running the microcontroller,how do i go abt this?

Added after 3 minutes:

the usb will only give 100 mA current if the device is not recognised..

Added after 2 minutes:

so how to make the device reconise my device?

finally the supervisor accepted that we can use external power for charging..so now can anyone help me?

battery charger for NiMH or NiCd AA cells
Which one would you like to build? NiMH or NiCd AA cells?

For NiMH cell you have to study the code inside NiMH.C and flow chart on page 28 .. 31 of AN450.

For NiCd cell you have to study the code inside NiCd.C and flow chart on page 24 .. 27
of AN450.

I suggest you use the circuit at page 40 : Figure 5-4. AT90S4433 and 14 kHz Buck Converter Schematic

Status
Not open for further replies.