Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

help/microstrip matching network simulation/design

Status
Not open for further replies.

thered

Junior Member level 3
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
microstrip matching

Hi all,

I have completed a design for a planar broadband microstrip matching network and would like to simulate it before rebuilding it. My load is highly capacitive and nonuniform throughout its 10% fractional bandwidth, although not varying drastically within the band. I wanted to match this to 50Ω and have successfully done so, at least, only in theory.

Previously, I used ADS schematic and I used MTEE and MCROS parts whenever necessary to include the effects of a bend, or such, in my circuit.

However, after optimizing and building it on FR4, the results are way off and I thought that (a) I need to use ADS momentum or another software, which I'm not sure how to do most especially since I need the S1P file of the load as reference so that it could probably perform simulation and optimization/tuning from there Besides momentum, anything else you would recommend, especially ones that feature the 'data items' feature of ADS? (b) I'd have to fabricate everything one at a time and try to return everything from there (which I honestly, would say, is more tedious and would like to avoid if there's any other alternative. So far, it seems like there isn't (from colleagues/boss) and this is why I am here asking for help/other suggestions).

My network is composed of lines that have different Z0 in order to make it work. I've applied a few concepts from filter design such as Kurokawa's transformation.

Please help.

Thanks in advance

microstrip matching network

Yes you should use Momentum to re-simulate your design. Did you give the
correct PCB model (er & Thickness)? And did you look to make sure your
dimensions are within the PCB manufacturers ability to guarantee?
(i.e. If 13.3 mills is needed but the PBC maker can only guarantee 13 ±1 Mills)

Also make sure you where given the correct PCB material. I did a design and
(I got a PBC mad with er=2.9 and not 6.4.) .

Good luck

thered

Helpful Answer Positive Rating
Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Welcome to EDABoard.com

Sponsor

Back