Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Help me with writing a VHDL program

Status
Not open for further replies.

shermaine

Newbie level 6
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
VHDL Help

Hi,

How to begin writing this program having some path location for a
controller to start and move forward and when it detect an object in
the centre, it turns right with ack signal to show it complete it's
turn and it move forward? How do i begin to write this program? Any
one can help me?
Thanks.

Re: VHDL Help

Refer to Professor Randy Katz (Berkeley), "Contemporary Logic Design" - a highly recommended undergraduate textbook in digital logic design using VHDL.

1. Think how you want the controller to behave or function.
2. Specify the state diagram of the behaviour.
3. Design a Finite State Machine, either a Moore or Mealy machine, which can be described using VHDL. It would be easier for you to describe in Behavioural.
4. Examples on Randy's book will show you how to describe the behaviour of your system.
5. The book will show you how to use state types to represent your states, what inputs to response, when to produce outputs and etc.

I remember there are some examples that show how a system can be described in Moore and Mealy to show the differences between these two finite state machines. It is somewhere in 500 odd page. I can't remember. I don't have the book anyway. I think Randy even drew some systematic diagrams on Moore and Mealy. You are likely to spot those examples with the information I gave here. Follow the examples closely and you are unlikely to get lost.

The reason I suggest VHDL because your design is more of a system level abstraction, which is not suitable for Verilog and Verilog is either too simple or lacking support for system level abstraction. In fact Verilog is becoming obselete. Design is moving up to system level.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Welcome to EDABoard.com

Sponsor

Back