Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Help me with vehicle tracking system which uses phone towers

Status
Not open for further replies.
I want to design a vehicle tracking system using GSM. This is to estimate the approximate location of the vehicle. The transmitter in the vehicle should collect the nearby tower (mobile phone tower) location and transmit it. I am planning to use 89c51. kindly advice
Dear shivram sir,
You were replying for the above post right?
Here the poster of the tread intents to locate the vehicle on the basis of the signals from the mobile network towers which is not possible always because there are areas where there is no coverage for operators. In in that locations instead of this method i'm asking you that can't we substitute GPS instead of GSM which is more accurate than GSM. Can't we.
Thanking you & regards,
Jerin.

yes i agree with you. Sorry i had forgot the thread topic and kept on answering the last thing in my mind. You are correct. In fact GSM is costlier than GPS.

We can also use GIS , an extension of GPS, for various application

yes i agree with you. Sorry i had forgot the thread topic and kept on answering the last thing in my mind. You are correct. In fact GSM is costlier than GPS.

We can also use GIS , an extension of GPS, for various application

Thats the thing i kept on asking you sir.Finally you understood me. :)
Is this GIS application available in mobiles too?
Regards & thanking you,
Jerin. :)

WiFi tracking is the newest method of tracing a mobile phone location is via wireless data transmission. As a miniature computer, it is possible to 'ping' a mobile phone and determin it's location in the network to within 50 feet. While this may not be possible with some old mobile phones, almost all modern phones can be tracked this way.

However GPS consumes large amount of power and only GPS only works when it is exposed to a view of the sky. If the GPS signal is lost due to blockage of this signal or if the antenna is defective or tampered with, GPS will not work. As a fall back to GPS, mobile phone tracking are employed. This allows the tracking of the vehicle to be done even when GPS signal is not available or if the GPS antenna has been tampered with. This location query depends on the capability of the GSM network and is accurate to within approximately one-tenth of the cell coverage area.
This reduces the usefulness of the current generation of GPS equipped phones. When GPS is employed, the standby time of a phone is greatly reduced. A-GPS (Aided GPS) phone which combines the GPS accuracy with GSM network capability to keep the phone updated with GPS ephemeris and server assisted calculation to reduce on-board computation promises to give better accuracy and longer in-use time for mobile phones. currently we are working on this technology, but in thailand and malaysia it is tested

WiFi tracking is the newest method of tracing a mobile phone location is via wireless data transmission. As a miniature computer, it is possible to 'ping' a mobile phone and determin it's location in the network to within 50 feet. While this may not be possible with some old mobile phones, almost all modern phones can be tracked this way.

However GPS consumes large amount of power and only GPS only works when it is exposed to a view of the sky. If the GPS signal is lost due to blockage of this signal or if the antenna is defective or tampered with, GPS will not work. As a fall back to GPS, mobile phone tracking are employed. This allows the tracking of the vehicle to be done even when GPS signal is not available or if the GPS antenna has been tampered with. This location query depends on the capability of the GSM network and is accurate to within approximately one-tenth of the cell coverage area.
This reduces the usefulness of the current generation of GPS equipped phones. When GPS is employed, the standby time of a phone is greatly reduced. A-GPS (Aided GPS) phone which combines the GPS accuracy with GSM network capability to keep the phone updated with GPS ephemeris and server assisted calculation to reduce on-board computation promises to give better accuracy and longer in-use time for mobile phones. currently we are working on this technology, but in thailand and malaysia it is tested

But WiFi too has limitations of range. But is reliable than GPS. Right sir?
Regards & thanking you,
Jerin.

yes, but every technology has disadvantage / limitation of it own. Maybe at present GPS is the best solution we have as you have pointed out.
Very good. keep it up.

Dont refer as sir, everybody is same here.

yes, but every technology has disadvantage / limitation of it own. Maybe at present GPS is the best solution we have as you have pointed out.
Very good. keep it up.

Dont refer as sir, everybody is same here.

thank you Shivram(Sir). :)
It was you who cleared out my doubts. I just gave a suggestion. It was the effort from the poster of this thread to get a solution for his problem & i'm happy that i could help him some or the other way.
Thanking you & regards,
Jerin. :)

Status
Not open for further replies.