Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

help me understand how digital dimmers work

Status
Not open for further replies.

aliyesami

Full Member level 6
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
I want to control led matrix using arduino . my question is how can do this . also I want to be able to store various dimmer settings which I can recall, how do I do that ?
so my goal is to to dim or brighten the leds using either voltage or current. and also want to recall some pre-set settings to bring the brightness to a certain level.

thanks

A digital dimmer uses Pulse Width Modulation. The ratio of the on-time to the off-time determines the brightness. The pulses turn on and off at a frequency that is high enough (a few hundred Hz or higher) so you see a steady light, not a pulsing light.
A digital DC motor speed controller or a digital heater controller are the same as a digital light dimmer.

i have a LED driver that has a 0-10v dimmer option . what i want is to control this dimming option from a microcontroller . what do i need to do?

thanks

Status
Not open for further replies.