Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

[help] CMOS design procedure

Status
Not open for further replies.

speedracer

Junior Member level 2
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
rcaverly +pdf

hi!

i am trying to learn the design procedure for a mixer. could someone tell me how to determine the bias current and the bias voltage for the device, since the source of the device is at different potential as the substrate.

thanx!

speedracer

i think u can estimate the bais current from calculation of the gm required by this device
frist assume the source and bulk connnected and calculate the current then begin to etirate with the vbs , to get minimun error

Which type of mixer are you talking about....is it active gilbert cell mixer.
Amit

thanx for the replies so far.

yes, i am studying the gilbert cell mixer. the professor has not been very clear about the whole procedure. i figured out the width of the transistor, but i became confused by the rest since there are too many variables.

so, i should figure out Ids next, right?

thanx!

speedracer

also u must be clear which transistor
there r 3 function of the transistors in gilbert cell mixer
the transconductors and switch and the active load

hi! khouly,

you are absolutely right. i am planning to do the rf differential amp first, then the switch then the active load. i am using 0.35 um cmos technology.

i am totally confused by the next step after i fiugred out the dimension of the transistor. i know i am suppose to figure out the Id but the substrate and source are at different potential, so how can i accurately determine Id?

thanks for the help!

speedracer

hi
assume frist that the source and bulk in the same potential then begin to etirate to calculate the new VT , then put it back in current equations , and so on
until to get very samall error

in my graduation project one of my friends designed a mixer "gillbert cell " work around 2.4 Ghz , i will see the document . and i will try to hel u as far as i could

hi! khouly,

my professor and his t.a. are definitely no help. my friends and i estimated the device width from the text. we are trying to find a more deterministic method to ensure an appropriate Ids to keep the transistor in saturation.

we were told that to simulate the transistor by itself, but the Ids vs. Vds curves could not tell us what is the 'best' Ids or Vgs. are we totally off base?

thanx!

speedracer
irinakuz@yahoo.com

The IV curve is the best place to ensure that your circuit has the correct biasing. For example by running your transistor at a particular width and length will lead you to an IV curve in saturation mode.

T Zul

This may help.

hxxp://eesof.tm.agilent.com/adsdemo/seminar4/extras.html#workbook

**broken link removed**

**broken link removed**

**broken link removed**

**broken link removed**

**broken link removed**

**broken link removed**

**broken link removed**

Also see the book by Stephen Maas on mixer design.

Have fun!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Welcome to EDABoard.com

Sponsor

Back