Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Help builting my own pic programmer

Status
Not open for further replies.

jmaurin

Junior Member level 1
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
my own pic programmer software

Hi All.

First, i'm not a professional, just hobbyst.

After using PIC's for a while, i'm trying to build my own USB programmer. This is my idea:
I'll use an 18F4550 as controller. This will be connected to my PC/laptop using USB. The power for target pic will come from USB [using some other components, like microchok to generate 12v and enable programming on MCLR pin]....
I'll have 2 circuits to provide 12V on target pic MCLR: one for smaller pics [18/14/8pin] and other for bigger pics [40/28pin], each of these supplys will have transistor and the controller wich enable/disable individually. This way, my software can change the 'board' for each kind of pic [instead of jumper].
The CLOCK and DATA pin will be directly connected from controller to target pic, without any transistor or anything.
My controller will receive commands from PC and set the clock/data and MCLR to 1/0, according to the programm currently writting.

In the computer, i'll build my own programmer software OR i'll use the ic-prog, with and external plugin. Looking into ic-prog documentation, i saw that i can build my own hardware and programm using ic-prog plugin. This plugin just receive the data from ic-prog [o/1 on the corresponding pin] and send to my board.

Well, this is my idea....
Question: is fine to connect my controller pin directly to target pin for clock/data programming?

tks blueroomelectronics, but i do have 2 serial programmers.

The idea for this projectr is to learn, learn, and learn. Yes, i also need a usb programmer [serial is too slow :S ]....but the main going is to learn something new with the problems, design, etc...

Tks anyway :)

The Poyto design does work, you just have to make sure you're using the correct firmware and your wiring is 100% of course...

Status
Not open for further replies.