Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

gain enhancement for patch antenna

Status
Not open for further replies.

leaps

Member level 2
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
patch antenna gain enhancement

i have designed a suspended patch antenna with a material having a dielecric constant of 3.2 substarte height 0.762 mm and loss tangent of 0.004 the height of air is 3mm below the substrate i am using microstripline feed now i cant seem to enhance its gain beyond 8 db .please tell me how can i improve my gain .i am new please tell me what dielectric material should i be using i would appericate suggestions on that my antenna is designed to operate at 10 Ghz

With other sustrate you could chane gain but not very much. More gain increasing directivity.
Add a ground plane as reflector and directors , and if you need more gain you must think in parabolic reflectors.

If size isn't a problem for you try to build some patchs (not feeded) working like a directors, increasing your gain in desired direction.

Hello

You can use Metamaterial structure (as superstrate) over patch to enhance its gain, If u search in www, u will get more review papers related to metamaterial over patch antenna.

regards
Avinash

8 dBi is pretty good for a patch. If you want more gain you might look into an array of several.

Sometimes a bigger ground plane will help. Small increases are possible with more efficient materials or improvements to the impedance matching.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Welcome to EDABoard.com

Sponsor

Back