Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Is there any way to increase realizedGain 1dB for the 1X7 Patch antenna?

tony_lth

Advanced Member level 5
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
Hi, Gurus,
I am simulating a 62G antenna.
For 1X6 patch antenna, the max gain is 14.2dB.
So I increased it to 1X7 patch, and found the max gain is 14.5dB.
The antenna is used as the RX antenna for 62G mmwave, so it's max width is half the wavelength, i.e. less than 2.4mm.
And the length is limited as max 1X7 patch.
If there any way to increase max gain 1dB with the limted area?
I heard about DGS structure, but don't know how to do so.
Best,
Tony Liu

There are many proposed techniques for increasing antenna gain, see for example the IEEE Transactions on Antennas and Propagation.
However, antenna engineering is a zero-sum process. So the question is: what are you willing to sacrifice in order to achieve this higher gain?

tony_lth

Helpful Answer Positive Rating
The theoretical gain (ignoring losses and mutual coupling) of a 6x1 elements antenna array (with half-lamda spacing between elements) is 17.8dB, with 7x1 elements is 18.5dB and with 8x1 elements is 19dB.
What I found is that using circular patch elements (with inset feeding), the mutual coupling is smaller than in rectangular patches, and you can decrease a bit the spacing between elements in the way to be able using more elements in the given area which will get the desired 1dB more gain.

tony_lth

Helpful Answer Positive Rating

LaTeX Commands Quick-Menu:

Part and Inventory Search

Welcome to EDABoard.com

Sponsor

Back