Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

FM receiver based on TEF6606T

Status
Not open for further replies.

sky_123

Advanced Member level 4
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
Just in case anyone is interested in simple receivers, the NXP TEF6606T is quite easy to use!
I spent the day trying it out based on some older datasheet (v3) on the internet. The current
chips are V5, so I don't know what the differences are (and NXP haven't sent me a datasheet
even though I've asked twice).

Anyway, I think it is even easier than the traditional TDA7000. Just two coils are needed, and
no adjusting of the coils was necessary - it worked first time.

It uses I2C, I'll post code at some point (currently I've hard-coded it to tune to a particular
channel).

The ic is a bit too integrated, so it probably can't be modified for non-standard
frequencies, however as a conventional FM broadcast receiver it is ok. It does handle AM but I didn't
implement that (another couple of coils and a few capacitors).

radiotest1.jpg

sounds interesting, considering the TDA7000 is obsolete and practically impossible to get
I think I still have 2 or 3 in my parts supply

BUT I cant find a datasheet for the TEF6606T anywhere, did you finally find one. I noticed in another thread you were still looking ??

Dave

Hi Dave,

This was the only link that I found, **broken link removed**.
The link is for V3 of the ic however.

Below is the code I attempted on the v5 ic, and it worked (well, music blasted out of the earphones. I need to look for a volume register or implement a volume control)..
I've stuck the findings here.
I've not experimented much yet, and have not tried other registers either. I'm not interested in auto-scan etc, but when I get more time I might try to get it to a state where it can
be tuned with a rotary encoder, or a potentiometer connected to the ADC pin of the microcontroller - 8bits ADC should be _just_ enough to tune to .1MHz increments! .

I've just read a little more of the data sheet, and looks like it may tune SW freq too:
freq.jpg

Code:
int main( void )
{
  init();
  LED_OFF;
  delay_10ms(400);
  LED_ON;

i2c_start();
  i2c_write(0xc0); // write to the tuner's address
  i2c_write(0x00); // mode and sub-addr: standard mode, sub-addr tuner0
  // tuner0: