Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

[SOLVED] Why modern FM ICs use two externally tuned oscillators?

Status
Not open for further replies.

TheMaksimys

Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
While working on the DIY project I came across FM ICs (such as TEA5710, TA2003, KA2246) that have two oscillators that are tunable to the tagreted frequency. The frequency of both are quite close if not to say that they are the same. For example here is the TA2003 with two pins devoted for these oscillators (Fig1).

I do acknowledge that modern FM uses heterodyne type receviers, meaning they have to use two oscillators, namely at 10.7 MHz and F0+-10.7 MHz, where F0 is the frequency of the broadcast station. I have sketched the rough FM reciever system layout to demonstrate these oscillators (Fig2).

Could you, please, explain what exactly FM RF OUT and FM OSC are in terms of block schematic? Did I made a mistake in it or is it not complete to demonstrate both of these oscillators (FM RF OUT and FM OSC)? If so, could you correct me and explain what is the purpose of them?

Thank you very much! This question occupies my mind for a long time now.

Attachments

• Fig1.PNG
    Fig1.PNG
    5.7 KB · Views: 50
  • Fig2.PNG
    Fig2.PNG
    17.6 KB · Views: 52

• Love
Reactions: TheMaksimys

TheMaksimys

That's brilliant! Thank you very much! Your reply and the article fully explains it! I should have looked into FM reciever atchitectures myself)
Solution
Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Welcome to EDABoard.com

Sponsor

Back