Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Dynamic shape corruption - Allegro

Status
Not open for further replies.

TenmaNeko

Newbie level 6
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
Hello all. I am using Allegro PCB Editor 15.2. I had three GND planes and a power plane created with dynamic copper pours. Naturally, once I created them I turned off their visibility. At some point, when I turned them back on I noticed that the planes were making full contact with vias that they were not electrically connected to. This occurs on each plane in roughly the same area of the board (under a 484-pin bga FPGA), but it is not exactly the same on each layer. Also it is not consistent, as I deleted the dynamic shapes and redrew them to find that generally the problem was the same, but there were a few vias that were different.

So, I have tried running DBDoctor, I have moved the shapes and moved them back, I have deleted them and redrew them, and I have tried drawing voids manually. None have worked.

Does anyone have any more ideas? I'm willing to try about anything to get this to work.

Thanks!

Alright, after some experimentation, I found that several small dynamic shapes tiled together, instead of one large one, worked. Less of a fix and more of a work-around. I had to take the shape-to-shape drc to 0mils, and make sure the 'seams' didn't pass over any vias that would be connected to that plane. Once I did that and saw it worked on one GND layer, I just copied each shape to the other GND layers, and double checked to make sure they were still okay.

Since I had a split power plane with an irregular shape, that one was a special pain, but, hey, at least it's working!

Hopefully this will help someone else in the future :)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Welcome to EDABoard.com

Sponsor

Back