Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

DRC and VLS for circuit using Sky130 PDK

rtl1

Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
Hi,
I am using Sky130 on Cadence Virtuoso to design my circuit. I have the design and want to run DRC and LVS checks. I prefer to use Calibre, as it is available on my school PC. I have a design rule file sky130_drcRules.pvl. Whenever I try to open calibre, I get similar error:
1712256755709.png

I have never used Calibre/Assura/Magic before. Sorry if this is a stupid question. How do I run the checks?
FYI, I do not any root privileges, nor can I run sudo or install commands.

Thank you,
Ananya

Hi,
I am using Sky130 on Cadence Virtuoso to design my circuit. I have the design and want to run DRC and LVS checks. I prefer to use Calibre, as it is available on my school PC. I have a design rule file sky130_drcRules.pvl. Whenever I try to open calibre, I get similar error:
View attachment 189810

I have never used Calibre/Assura/Magic before. Sorry if this is a stupid question. How do I run the checks?

Thank you,
Ananya
Typically someone would have integrated Calibre with Virtuoso so that in Virtuoso you'd use a menu, probably Calibre > Run nmDRC or Run nmLVS. These bring up the Calibre Interactive GUI so that you can specify the rule file, layout, the checks to run, and so on.

You can also run Calibre Interactive outside of Virtuoso, but you'll need to export your layout and schematic to a file and then specify those. To bring up Calibre Interactive, assuming $MGC_HOME and licenses are set, type "calibre -gui". You'll get a bar with some buttons; click DRC (or LVS) and fill out fields. You can also get to the manuals from the DRC or LVS GUI, under Help.

assuming your setup is done correctly and your PATH points to all the right binaries, this is how I do it:
start calibredrv, load your GDS file exported from virtuoso or innovus. from the menu, start calibreDRC. this way you can easily visualize any violations directly on the layout open in the drv window. for large designs this is perfect because drv is super fast.

Hi,
View attachment 189810

Thank you,
Ananya
PS: I was able to open Calibre through GUI. The only rules file I got from the sky130 PDK is the .pvl file, and it's throwing errors. Same with Cadence PVS. Did anyone use the sky130 PDK? Do I have to create new rule files, define them in .lib file? Just FYI, I was able to get the PDK from the OSU repo (stineje/sky130_cds: This repository is an open-source version of SKY130 to help facilitate use of Cadence Design System tools for use with Skywater 130 Process Design Kit (github.com), and not the official site due to restrictions from my school network.

LaTeX Commands Quick-Menu:

Part and Inventory Search

Welcome to EDABoard.com

Sponsor

Back