Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

detecting number of 1's in a 8 bit data line

Status
Not open for further replies.

senthilos

Newbie level 6
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
Hi,

Yesterday I got this design question in an interview. How do you detect the number of 1's in a 8 bit data line? There is a clock running. At each clock, the output should display the number of 1's(the count) in the data line.

The interviewer expected me to design a hardware circuit at gate level to achieve this functionality. Can anyone give me a hint on how to go about this?

Thanks
Senthil

You need to elaborate what you are trying to achieve. The obvious answer is to read and convert/display as binary, and count them. Though I do not think that is what you probably mean, please enlighten!

Hi fcfusion,

You have posted a link to a software solution which is good. My question is to find a solution at the gate level (using adders, mux, FlipFlops, etc).

Thanks
Senthil

It would be diffiucult to do without using msi logic, counters/decoders etc. How are you wanting to display the the result, leds, display etc. Possibly something like eight 2 input and gates, one input from byte, and the other enabled in turn by a counter. If you common the outputs, you will get the number of pulsed equal to the number of high bits. There are a few different solutions, depends on how you want it presented.

Hi GrandAlf,

I don't understand what is meant by "common the outputs". Can you please brief a little more on that.

Thanks
Senthil

The purpose of an interview question is to check general understanding rather than to ask for a detailed solution. The said requirements
are more or less arbitrary. You may want to opt either for a sequential (clocked) or a combinational solution. Among the combinational
solutions, lookup table or cascaded adder of 8 one bit numbers can be expected most popular, I think.

senthilos

Helpful Answer Positive Rating
Hi FVM,

The combinational logic options looks good. Can there really be a sequential logic solution for this, because the o/p is expected for each clock cycle.

Thanks
Senthil

Sorry I did not explain better. I meant connect the outputs of all the 8 AND gates together to one common point that is in effect a serial output of the parallel data. Suppose you had 5 ones and 3 zeros. You would clock each of the 8 other AND gate inputs from a counter, you would get 5 output pulses from the common output, these of course would then need to be counted. Combinational may be a more elegant solution though, as with the sequencial you would need a clock sourch and a counter that would need to be stopped after 8 clock cycles, just more logic. You could also use 2x nibble to bcd decoders and input to a 7 seg decoder to get a hex display. I am sure googling will produce a few ideas. Good luck with this.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Welcome to EDABoard.com

Sponsor

Back