Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

what is the component called for Converting 20-bit data @300Mhz to 30-bit data @200Mhz?

neblung2018

Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
First of all, is it possible to convert 20-bit data @300Mhz to 30-bit data @200Mhz? (Assuming the clocks are async, so it could have any kind of phase different)

If it is possible, what is that component be called?

I came across things like "gearbox", "circular queue". But I cannot find more details on those things.

Also, I think a regular async FIFO is not going to achieve this because FIFO has same data width of its input/output

Thanks for any reply in advance!

You haven't specified the data alignment, but a simple solution could be to use a 60-bit wide async FIFO.
Combine three 20-bit words to a 60-bit word on the write side, and write with 100 MHz.
Read with 100 MHz and split the data to two 30-bit words.

Hi,

It´s possible, but not that simple.

let´s say you have
* port A be 20 bit x 300 MHz as input
* and port B be 30 bit x 200 MHz as output

so it needs 3 cycles of port A to send 60 bits (3 x 20 bits = 60 bits)
and it needs 2 cycles of port B to receive 60 bits (2 x 30 bits = 60 bits)
Let´s call a packet of 30 bits a "frame".

Now you need to tell how the 60 bits of port A, (let´s name them A00U ... A19U, A00V ... A19V, A00W ... A19W, where U, V, W are the 3 input cycles)
are mapped to port B (let´s name them B00X ... B29X, B00Y ... B29Y, where X, Y are the two output cycles)

And you additionaly need to define how
* one can differ between cycles U, V, W in one frame
* one can differ between cycles X and Y in one frame

If you can´t give a uinque definition, then a safe data transfer is impossible, because you surely will mix from one frame to the other .. without knowing it.

Other problem:
How are those 200MHz and 300MHz clocks synchronized?
Are they divided down from one single clock?
Like 1.2GHz / 6 = 200MHz
and 1.2GHz / 4 = 300MHz
(This is the lowest jitter method I can think of)

If other method: explain and give timing / jitter informations.

Solution can be just some DFFs, some FIFOs, a PLD, ASIC...

Klaus

If the information rate is measured by 20 bit word rate 300/20 = 15 MHz, are you tossing 1/3 of your input data and replacing that space with some other source of data?

If the information rate is measured by 20 bit word rate 300/20 = 15 MHz, are you tossing 1/3 of your input data and replacing that space with some other source of data?
Huh? The input data rate is 6000 M-bits/sec. The output data rate is 6000 M-bits/sec.

I think std-match is on the right track.

Huh? The input data rate is 6000 M-bits/sec. The output data rate is 6000 M-bits/sec.

I think std-match is on the right track.
Got it. This is just a simple example of frame relay breaking frames into packets. But requires overhead. In telephony 64bps 8 bit channels are bundled into larger frames. at much higher speeds both synchronous and async.

LaTeX Commands Quick-Menu:

Part and Inventory Search

Welcome to EDABoard.com

Sponsor

Back