Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Designing of 4 layer PCB for Beginner

Status
Not open for further replies.

hn123

Newbie level 6
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
I am new for four layer PCB.
which kind of precaution i have to follow during Routing traces.
How I start Routing with layer selection

Hi,

This describes high speed pcb layout, nonetheless I think there are quite a few good tips and examples clearly explained that could be useful to you.

View attachment slyp173.pdf

Don't be afraid to us "Google", or RTFM, and then buy a book on the subject. There are a lot of books available.

A simple search on Amazon.com will list a lot of books on the subject.

- Make Your Own PCBs with EAGLE: From Schematic Designs to Finished Boards
- Complete PCB Design Using OrCAD Capture and PCB Editor
- PCB Design for Real-World EMI Control
- High Speed Digital Design: A Handbook of Black Magic
- PCB Design in EAGLE
- PCB Currents: How They Flow, How They React
- The Circuit Designer's Companion
- Signal and Power Integrity - Simplified
- Printed Circuit Boards: Design, Fabrication, and Assembly
- Altium Designer Tutorial

Search for posts by Marce, he has a list of links for very good reading.

Before you get to the routing, make sure that the placement is the best it can be, that the return current paths are minimised and not long & meandering, with the shortest distance between component pads then the routing gets easier & can be better.

Use Vias through the whole board - blind\buried are more expensive.
COnsider your layer stack, keep to it.
1) top components & tracking
2) GND
3) pwr
4) bottom components and\or tracking.

Do not track on layer 2 unless you have 100% absolutely no other option - at this point consider changing your placement until you have another option.
do not put any splits in the GND layer.

Read more from Marcs links.

If you a fresher, I SUGGEST you to make a study plan.
First you need to collect information about LAYOUT.
A lot of information can be found via Internet.But you would better buy a professional book and study step by step.
Single layer is easy,you need to have a try first,then double layer and four layer.........Keep on going,you will be a professional designer .
When you finish your project, you'd better send a nice manufacture to check your file before production,they will give you many usefull suggestions ,then your ability will be improved soon.

hi

thank you for reply and for your suggestions.

I am quite good in two layer PCB design but how i can be make my self as expert ?

Guide me for Some specific book

I have Black magic.

Any other for best professional experience

New for 4 Layer PCB? I hope you will not start with high speed design at beginning stage. You can start with high density PCB & without focusing on high speed. I'm giving this suggestion, because you are new to multi layer. But your requirement may differ fromm what I suggest.
First, decide whether you are going for a blind via type PCB (will be little expensive), or All through hole via type PCB (cheaper then blind via). Because I'm designing lot of 4 layer PCB because of component & routing density & not because of high speed requirement. High speed may not depands upon the type of PCB whether blind via or through hole via, we can do high speed design with both the type. Before you start confirm with your PCB fabricator whether they have the facility of blind via.
Because here we have lot of PCB fabricator to do the 4 layer PCB only with through hole via & the cost is very nearby 2 layer PCB. But blind via...:roll: much expensive.

Good luck

Udhay

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Welcome to EDABoard.com

Sponsor

Back