Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Default units to mm in Eagle Pro layout software (PCB)

Status
Not open for further replies.
T

treez

Hello,
Whenever I open a PCB component in the PCB library, the grid is in inches, and then I have to change it to mm (0.1mm), -how do I make it open up in mm in the first place?

hii,
better u dont change the grid in PCB library.

Reactions: treez

T

Helpful Answer Positive Rating
sorry I don't understand.
When I open the pcb library editor so that I can add a new footprint, the grid starts in inch's and I have to then change it to mm....how can I make it start in mm?

Hi,

you can set this in the "eagle.scr".

in the library section there are different entries (dev, pac, sym)

place the line "grid dot mm 0.1 5" in the according section to set the grid to 0.1 mm with every 5 times a grid point.

btw. in EAGLE there is a "help" included.
Open the help and do a search for "grid". the first enty is the description on how to configurate EAGLE with the eagle.scr.

Klaus

T

l looked in the Help, I also opened the eagle.scr file, but I couldn't see where to type in the line "grid dot mm 0.1 1"

l looked in the Help, I also opened the eagle.scr file, but I couldn't see where to type in the line "grid dot mm 0.1 1"

... i use the german version, and it is easy to find and good documented.

First you have to decide in what section of lbrary editor you need to change it.
In my eyes it maybe makes sense with the package editor, but not in the symbol editor. In the device section it may be useless...

Did you find the package or pac section?

If not, then post your eagle.scr here.

Klaus

T

Thanks , yes that's right, the package section is where I wish the units to default to mm.

I saw reference to the package section in the eagle.scr file,but didn't see where to type the line "grid dot 0.1mm 1"
edaboard wont accept the eagle.scr as an attachment, so I have attached a text copy of it here

Attachments

• Document_eaglescr.txt
    2.2 KB · Views: 127
Last edited by a moderator:

Hi,

Code:
PAC:
Grid Default On;
Change Width 0.005;
Change Size 0.050;
grid dot 0.1 mm 1;
MENU '[LTspice.png] LT Spice simulation {\
                  Import: RUN ltspice.ulp /I; \

You must restart EAGLE after changing the eagle.scr. (maybe running the eagle.scr also works)

You see the "grid default on" entry. It it possible to change it here, but then you also need to change the two folowing lines, because they refer on the grid units.

Klaus

Edit: html tags deleted...

T

Thanks, though I added the line in there but it wont let me save it...it says "can't rename......" and also "Error code 5"

Hi,

close EAGLE completely.

edit eagle.scr with any other text editor.

i never hat any problems in saving the eagle.scr.

Do you work on a microsoft windows PC? Maybe it is confused by the extension ".scr" because it also is used with screensavers.

Klaus

T

if I close eagle then I cant edit eagle.scr, -I can't open it, when I right click it, nothing says "open" or "open with"
And If I open eagle.scr then close eagle, then eagle.scr closes too.
I am using windows 8

Last edited by a moderator:

Hi,

start any text editor.

then use "open" to select the eagle.scr.

Klaus

(Now i´m very sure it is a windows system...and it is because of the ".scr" extension)

T

yes it is wondows 8...I tried closing eagle , then opening eagle.scr with wordpad...it lets me open eagle.scr, but says "access denied" when I try and change and save it.

Check the file permissions and/or edit as administrator, windows is getting good at not letting users edit some files it thinks are system files.

T

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Welcome to EDABoard.com

Sponsor

Back