Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Daisy chain circuit topology

engr_joni_ee

Advanced Member level 3
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
I am wondering if I2C bus is a kind of daisy chain topology in which we have one master and multiple slave devices ? or how we can explain daisy chain topology ?

Daisy chain involves a series connection where the output of one device is feeding the next in line. E.g. SPI can optionally use daisy chain configuration for data. Clock and chip select are wired in parallel.

I2C can't use daisy chain topology because data line is bidirectional.
--- Updated ---

See https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Network_topology#Daisy_chain

Last edited:
Daisy chain is where you put information in at one end of the chain and each device passes it on to the next until the end of the chain is reached.

As FvM states, it is difficult if not impossible to daisy chain I2C devices because the lines are both bidirectional so cannot 'pass through' to or from another device without the signals clashing. When multiple I2C devices share the same wires they are in parallel, not daisy chained and the individual device is selected on the bus by recognizing it's address bits sent from the master.

Brian.

LaTeX Commands Quick-Menu:

Part and Inventory Search

Welcome to EDABoard.com

Sponsor

Back