Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Crystal Oscillator problem

Status
Not open for further replies.

Thunderhorse312

Member level 1
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
Hi, i'm trying to make a microcontroller work using a 16Mhz crystal oscillator connected with 2 22pF capacitors grounded. However, I was having problems with the crystal oscillator because it only works when i touch the damn thing.. Is there a problem with the circuit configration or the oscillator? how can i fix this? thanks!

Most of the time it happens due to improper connection. Check out for any dry soldering..

By the way what microcontroller you are using?

Most of the time it happens due to improper connection. Check out for any dry soldering..

By the way what microcontroller you are using?

for this circuit i used PIC 16F877A. I double checked the connections, they were correct. The circuit works whenever i touch the oscillator

for this circuit i used PIC 16F877A. I double checked the connections, they were correct. The circuit works whenever i touch the oscillator

If all connections are correct ----
Not all ICs are identical, maybe this particular micro needs slightly bigger caps ..
Try 33pF ..
If this doesn't help - I think you should replace the micro ........

:wink:
IanP

Try and find a plastic rod to tap things with (adds NO extra capacity)*. If you have a reluctant crystal, it is always well to remember that to properly match the output impedance of a chip to an input impedance, there is a big impedance transformation required. So to start of with, add more capacity to the pin that is connected to the output.
Frank
* if you attach a small piece of metal (brass) to the other end then touching a live point with this end will add extra capacity to ground. if the metal is like a little tube, then you can poke it into air cored coils to reduce their inductance as part of seing if they are truly at resonance.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Welcome to EDABoard.com

Sponsor

Back