Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Simulation of a commercial crystal oscillator in ADS's SMT crystal library

Status
Not open for further replies.

aleksidql

Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
Dear All,

I tried to test the performance of ECS-10.7-7.5 crystal oscillator, which i think is the same as the sx_tqz_CS10_TQ71_07_A_19930601 provided by System_lib in ADS. I tried to do the test according to the Fixed frequency oscillator DesignGuide, but the simulation broke down, how can i fix it?

Any help to test this oscillator will be appreciated. Thanks for your time!
1660276285254.png
1660276328740.png

Did you start out with a sample circuit included with the program? Did it provide sensible results?

Alerts say capacitor values are large. (Apparently 4.9 Farad & .0214 F). When running a circuit at 10 MHz, reasonable values are in the pF or fF range.

By happenstance the Falstad simulator contains a 10 MHz crystal. Default values shown below:

crystal (Falstad model 10 MHz) and edit window showing LCR values.png

Did you start out with a sample circuit included with the program? Did it provide sensible results?

Alerts say capacitor values are large. (Apparently 4.9 Farad & .0214 F). When running a circuit at 10 MHz, reasonable values are in the pF or fF range.

By happenstance the Falstad simulator contains a 10 MHz crystal. Default values shown below:

View attachment 177971
Hi, BradtheRad. Thanks for your time first!

I noticed that the capacitor values were large. But I guess it was because the unit of this commercial crystal had not been set, for exmaple pF. Instead, ADS takes the unit F. I don't know how to change the setting.(change the setting of schematic didn't work out, and I can't change the setting of libraries.....)
I was assigned to test this crystal's performance by ADS, I wonder if I could use the Falstad simulator to test it. Because the library porvided by manufacturer is needed.

Before using OscPort element, you should check the "necessary and sufficient oscillation condition" of the circuit.
In order to do this, you have to use OscTest element in s-parameter analysis palette. This is standalone simulation controller to predict the oscillation conditions. No need to place additional s-parameter simulation controller.
When you place this element adequately , it will make a small signal s-parameters analysis in a closed loop then you can see the oscillator has necessary and sufficient conditions or not.
If you plot S11 ( or S22) on a Polar Diagram, you will see S11 is close to 1+j*0 point or it encircled. If it encircles this point, it means you have RHP otherwise it will not oscillate ( Nyquist Criteria )

For more information, see help and other application notes on oscillator design.
Also, you have to check the negative resistance of the amplifier part and it must be at least 3 times greater than the real part of resonator's real part.

There are also additional techniques but no time to explain. Read something on.

I wonder if I could use the Falstad simulator to test it. Because the library porvided by manufacturer is needed.

Edaboard thread below discusses crystal oscillators and has a few schematics. Post #6 has a link to a Falstad simulation with a model of a crystal (inductor, series capacitor, parallel capacitor, resistor). Click it to:

1) Open website falstad.com/circuit.
2) Load the schematic into the simulator.
3) Run it on your computer.
You can modify component values as desired although Falstad's does not use the Spice family library.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Welcome to EDABoard.com

Sponsor

Back