Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Controlling 12v Starter Motor

Status
Not open for further replies.

liquid02

Newbie level 1
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
I was wondering if anybody knows how I could speed control a 12v starter motor (from a car). Basically, I was going through some junk today, and found I have everything I need for a small project, minus a speed controller of some sort.

What I'm intending to do is make a starter powered shopping cart, I have all the steering of an old snowmobile, battery and starter from my race car, wheels and tires, and axles from a little dolly etc. I just want to build a fun project for once, just not willing to spend hundreds of dollars on being able to control the speed of it. I just want to use the original throttle from the snowmobile steering column.

Is there any way of making a home-made controller? or am I stuck having to buy one?

Sorry, forgot to mention in a car they draw roughly 200-300amps, don't know how much it would take to move a shopping cart with me in it though, probably half that, be a little too crazy anyway to run it full throttle

Last edited:

200-300A speed controller is not going to cost small.

The starter motors are designed to run for few seconds. Better get a smaller motor

I've heard of that being done before. There are more links at the end of this: **broken link removed**.

Hi is there possible relay to drive these starter motors for short duty.....

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Welcome to EDABoard.com

Sponsor

Back