Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Complex avaible source power

Status
Not open for further replies.

Alex_IC

Full Member level 2
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
Hello!

I am reading Niknejad's lecture and wonder of p.15, why "the factor of 4 instead of 8 is used since we are now dealing with complex power"?

May be the factor 2 should be because of RMS value used in equation for Pin (V1 and I1 are RMS) and actually Pavs=Vs.rms^2/(4*Zo)?

Tnx for reply!

Attachments

• twoports.pdf
    767.3 KB · Views: 34

What's wrong with this ?? Available power from a source is always Vs^2/4Zs..
These are generalized equations, rms conditions are not mentioned.I think he express the signals in always with their peak values.
Remember the maximum power transfer theorem.When a source is terminated with its Zs, the maximum available power is delivered to the load.
So.. Nothing is wrong with this statement..

Pavs.rms=(Vs.rms^2)/4*Zs and Pavs.rms=(Vs.peak^2)/8*Zs so is Vs peak value or RMS value in the lecture? It seems to me it should be peak value and this results in my confusing about words "the factor of 4 instead of 8 is used since we are now dealing with complex power".

Again there is an Eq. Pin=0.5*(V1*I1'+V1'*I1) (eq.1), if the V1 and I1 are the peak values the Pin is peak value too.
Because Pin is power absorbed at the input of a two port network so it is Re(V1*I1') which is exactly the eq.1. But it should be RMS value.

Let's look at p.7 there is eq. Pin=Re(Yin)*(|V1|^2)/2 from this Pin is RMS power. So now I'm confusing are Pin, Pr and Pavs RMS or peak values....?

So, my guess is that Pin, Pr, Pavs are peak values.

Last edited:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Welcome to EDABoard.com

Sponsor

Back