Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Charging Algorithm for NiCd battery?

Status
Not open for further replies.

tom12sg

Member level 2
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
best charging method for nicd

Hi,

Anyone has any good way of charging NiCd or NiMH battery?
Are their charging method difference?
Is there any formula to calculate on how much and time to charge?
I think of using a ADC port to measure the amount of voltage left and it determine how long my charging cycle shoild be.
Any spec. or link of the above information please share.

Thanks.

Hi!
The normal way of charging NiCd or NiMH is by measuring the voltage drop that happens when the battery is fully charged. Both types of batteries is charged with constant current.
The drop for NiCd is larger than for NiMH.
If you want to charge fast, you normally choose a charging current of 1C where C is the capacity of the battery. But it is a good idea to supervise the temperature of the battery when doing so.
After fast charging you can switch to trickle charge (0.01C) to keep the battery fully charged even if left in the charger.

/Janne

Normally we adopted same charging scheme for both NiCd and NiMH battery. Jaannee's message is quite clear. Just one more addition is the battery temperature should not rise higher than the specification which will cause degradation of batteries. Usually, it is about 45 degree C.

A good source of information is data sheets/app notes from manufactors that makes charge IC like TI, Maxim, Linear...
Or battery manufactors like Panasonic, GP..

Hi,

I think that best charging method is reflex charging. You have a charge pulse (~900ms) at 1C or more, then few uS discharge at 3-4 C. After 10ms test to see if full charge. For more details I have a pdf file...

Cheers !

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Welcome to EDABoard.com

Sponsor

Back