Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Battery gauge for Li-Socl2 Battery

Status
Not open for further replies.

Eswar_Keshav

Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
Hey community,
I have been working on a Low power consumption device. In this device I am using the Li-socl2 battery to power the device. Since the Lisocl2 battery discharge curve is so flat it is bit hard to keep track of the charge left in it. So i decided to go with a coulomb counter but I am bit confused with choice for coulomb counter for Li-socl2 batteries. So could you guys please help in choosing a good Battery gauge for the Li-Socl2 battery

Battery using: LS17500 SAFT

Hi,

If I had to do the job:
* I´d try to use ready to buy coulomb counter ICs
* I´d look for IC manufacturers via the internet and distributors.
* I´d use the selection guides provided by distributors and manufacturers
* I´d read datasheets and application notes.

Klaus

Hi,

If I had to do the job:
* I´d try to use ready to buy coulomb counter ICs
* I´d look for IC manufacturers via the internet and distributors.
* I´d use the selection guides provided by distributors and manufacturers
* I´d read datasheets and application notes.

Klaus
Klaus Thanks for the reply. I have done these things i have considerable amount of knowledge and i have listed out few IC's. But i am bit afraid to make the choice. Because i don't want it to be a wrong one. That's why i thought it would be great if i can get advice or component used by a person who is already worked on it

Hi,

Don´t be afraid.
As long as you keep on the datasheet and application notes you are on the safe side.
The manufacturer provide these documents to ensure the customer is satisfied.

If you expect some more detailed answers then we surely need more informations.
The only thing we know is the battery.
But to find asuitable device one needs to know a lot of parameters. Like load current range, charging current range, timing, accuracy, and so on.

Usually selection tools ask for those informations. No one of us can give you these informations.
And the application notes tell you what to care for how to calculate some values...

Klaus

Hi,

Don´t be afraid.
As long as you keep on the datasheet and application notes you are on the safe side.
The manufacturer provide these documents to ensure the customer is satisfied.

If you expect some more detailed answers then we surely need more informations.
The only thing we know is the battery.
But to find asuitable device one needs to know a lot of parameters. Like load current range, charging current range, timing, accuracy, and so on.

Usually selection tools ask for those informations. No one of us can give you these informations.
And the application notes tell you what to care for how to calculate some values...

Klaus
Thanks for supporting me klaus.

Hey community,
After Klaus's reply. It struck me that i should give more information about my query. So I will layout my requirements and my choices of components and drop your suggestions on my selection or yours choice of components

Requirements:
1.Max discharge current/Load current: 100 mA
2.Battery chemistry : Li-Socl2 (Primary battery)
3.Charging/Discharging: Only discharging (Primary battery)
4.Power consumption of battery gauge : As low as possible
5.Accuracy : Can be nominal

My choices so far :LTC2941 ,BQ3500,MAX17201

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Welcome to EDABoard.com

Sponsor

Back