Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Charger/discharger for supercapacitors

Status
Not open for further replies.

konrad_gom

Junior Member level 1
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
Hello,
I design supercapacitor charger/discharger. Output voltage 0-15V. Output current 0-10A. Capacitors capacitance: few hunderts F. I plan use LT3761 IC.
9182901300_1402232029.jpg

How to charge, set current, and voltage I know. Question is how to extend this circuit for discharging?

Regards

That circuit is designed to only supply current, not sink it. Use a transistor switch in series with a resistor to discharge the cap.

As default this will be charger/discharger controlled by microcontroller. I must measure current and voltage. So how to implement discharger in this circuit? Should I use some relay and second transistor with resistor?

If you have an output from the µC to control the discharge, just connect that to the base of an NPN transistor through a resistor, emitter to ground, collector through a resistor to the cap. How fast do you need to discharge the cap and what's the cap size?

Discharging current must be adjustable from mA to few Amps. Capacitor capacitances from less than 1F to few hundreds F.

How do you want to control the value of the discharge current, some type of voltage signal? For that you could use a constant current circuit consisting of an op amp and a transistor.

Last edited:

This is the question, can I use f.e. DAC output of uC and digital potentiometer in base circuit of transistor to regulate base current and through this collector current?

The base current versus collector current depends upon the particular gain of the transistor you use (which typically varies over a range of 3 or 4 to 1, so if you want to current to accurately reflect the voltage from the DAC you should use an op amp in a feedback circuit to make a constant current, such as this. The pot is not needed, the DAC output goes directly to the (+) op amp input. The capacitor is connected to the MOSFET drain. The discharge current equals the DAC voltage divided by the source resistor value.

Status
Not open for further replies.