Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

CD-RW ACER repair - help needed

Status
Not open for further replies.

gschlotthauer

Newbie level 5
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
laser cd-rw repair

I have a CD-RW ACER 12x8x. It does not recognize any CD (nor record a CD, obviously). Anybody knows how to repair it?

Re: CD-RW ACER repair

ACER have very bad reputation as CDRs. i am sorry to tell you that your CDR has probably died. sometimes it happen even few months from perches with this brand.
seeing the speed i geuss the warnty has already expired if not ran to the store before it does. as i said this is probably not the case. before giving up here are the things you can try:

- uninstall the cdr and your burning software and reinstall. make sure you have the latest driver.

- if this doesnt work maybe the drive needs to be cleaned. (I mean the Laser lens) dont use a cleaning kit i heard it sometime make more damege then help. open the cdr and cleen with alcohol as pure as you get. i know opening might be concidered as hard/demaging work but what have you got to lose.

last remarks:
- it would have helped if you said what operating system you use.
- dont be to sad cdr's are quit chip this days

clean laser with videospray

Thank you friends.
I think that the CDR is already dead. I am using Windows millenium (it's a piece of shit, I know). The CDR broke down two weeks after the 6 months of warranty (excellent calculation of ACER's engineers!).

Why don't you send the conversations to acer company.
Could be this will not solve your problem, but it could make aware that theyr reputation is not so good.
Better than nothing a small revenge !!!!
Mandi

hey,

have u tried reinstalling the software. sometimes, it could be just the sofware as cd-rws hardly break. try upgrading to another OS and see if it helps. but then cd-rws are mad cheap these days.

laters

Hi gschlotthauer

If the symptoms are (after de cd is in the reader):
The optical unit move,searching focus and the disc remain imobile ...
The servo signal is absent!

You need to clean the internal parts of the optical set, where are located the secondary convergent lens , laser emitter and mirrors.
Here the dust are locate and dificult to clean...

Be carefull...

Try to wash, after disassemble the optical unit, with water and detergent (liquid) and let in repose about 6 hours in a recipient.

After this, wash in current water (great amount of water) and dry with hot air (hair drier).

In various cases it works!!!

Try it , the unit are lost ... try!!!

Sorry my poor english.

Best Regards

jackrs . 8)

better is to use a syringe and IPA to wash the optics
even take off the black top from the lense it clicks shut on in four places on the top
to expose optics

i use a bath of ipa then a syringe to fully wash
even under the lense using a small wedge to hold i up a bit {becarefull of rubber etc supports and not to stetching the linear azimith correction coils}
a small amount of blue or sometimes pink die will arrive from some cd lense types

this is normal as the dust {mostly nicotine and polen} contains or breaks down to acids that eat the coatings off the lenses so yielding die

so wash fully with ipa and hang up to dry
above a hot place like a radiator on in the sun on its side so the lense is at 55 deg below horizontal

30 mins

then re assemble make sure to clean the sled with a cloth made for cleaning gold {this make the shafts slippery } so they wont need much lubricant just a little ....

remember to clean every part of the cd and sleds assembleys
even the trays look out for a furrel at the edges of the tray

{sometimes disks leave a residue in the very corner stops the cd working as it scrapes but is hard to find if you dont notice it}

another is the magnetic plate in the disk wears out causing slide

secret is place in the corner of tv for a few hrs turn it on an off a few time till its degause works
also connecting a wire to it from the gnd in the tv to boast this
will clean up the disk and allow proper magnetic effect to it

at least for a good while

youll find the disk sometimes is embeded in the motor
sometimes in a disk above that locks on when the servo pulls the disk in for reading

if you cant take the disk off

use a tape head type demag to demag it on the motor

appart from this throw it away and buy another.....

cheep as cdrws!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.