Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Another problem with USB2Serial converter...

Status
Not open for further replies.

fratello

Newbie level 6
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
Hi everyone ! First, I apologize for my poor english. Hope I explain right my problem.
I need to programming some Microwire EEPROM (93C56). So I build one programmer on serial port ; with PonyProg works great ! But...I intend to use one notebook, with USB only ! I buy one convertor USB to serial, based on PROLIFIC 2303; I build the schematic based on 74HCT244. But...I have no result ! I used once, from somebody, one "adaptor" based on CD4069 (? I am not sure...) with external power (another USB port) and my adaptor work OK, even the time it's a little long... Have somebody something like this building ? Do You have some suggestion about how "interfacing" this USB2Serial converter for programming those eeproms ? Thank in advance for every reply !

Attachments

• eeprom_programmer.JPG
    eeprom_programmer.JPG
    34.7 KB · Views: 167
  • 74hc244.JPG
    74hc244.JPG
    30.7 KB · Views: 115

your serial programmer makes use of bit manipulation features.

the usb2serial converter will not be usable for that.

Thank You for reply...but, How I say
I used once, from somebody, one "adaptor" based on CD4069 (? I am not sure...) with external power (another USB port) and my adaptor work OK, even the time it's a little long... !
So, I think it's possible with "something" ...

Hey if you know micro controllers you can use PIC18F4550, it has built in USB host controller, it will connect with your laptop through USB port and and will appear as Serial com port device in your PC, then you can program your micro controller to interface with EEPROM.

There are several examples for this solutions online, the code for USB programming and EEPROM interfacing can be found on microchip website.

If you need more help you can contact me
you can also visit my website for microcontroller and embedded solutions

The PIC is not so cheap...and I have the converter. One 74HCT244 or CD4069 it's quite cheap and I can recover from old PC motherboards. I do not intend to spend much with this simple "interface"... So, I wait for further advices, thank You all !

is the pl2303 adapter that use now(which is not working) the same piece that was working earlier for cd4049 based design ?

Yes, it's the same adapter. And I use with ADMEM01, but this is not mine (I borrow from somebody) and I don't have schematic ; use one CD4069 - not sure.

Attachments

• ADMEM01.jpg
    ADMEM01.jpg
    48.5 KB · Views: 89

then you have to check the voltage levels .
measure from the o/p of pl2303 , 244 input . its o/p

try the FTDI's usb to serial converters, they out perform the PL2303 chips.

The schematic from post #1, with 74HCT244, works verry fine !
But...with IC-Prog and NOT with PonyProg; with Pony I can just reading the eeprom, but not writing ! Enjoy !

Status
Not open for further replies.