Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Agilent to Acquire Eagleware-Elanix

Status
Not open for further replies.
Also AWR Offers Free copy of Visual System Simulator 2004 (VSS-100) product...
for SystemVue or Spectrasys...which is a much better product for RF/Microwave end to end System modeling & analysis...

Here is the extract...
Licensed owners of SystemVue™ or Spectrasys™ receive a FREE copy of Visual System Simulator™ 2004 including 90 days of technical support (P/N VSS-100-PL) with receipt of a valid SystemVue™ or Spectrasys™ hardware key.

h**p://www.appwave.com/products/offer/

If anyone has any further questions on the AWR offer, please feel free to contact me for more details at: victoria@appwave.com or (310)524-4377. :D

I think rautio (Aug 5) hit the nail on the head. I haven't used Agilent tools for 10 years but stopped because of the price/support issues I've continued to hear about. The long run will be interesting.
AWR has been a great package for me - talented folks with an ear to the customer...and they don't have to buy their market share, they earn it.

Victoria, what exactly does the ""Locked limited time hardware key" mean? After 3 months or whatever, does the key stop working, or does the key work forever but your support for new software upgrades cease?

Hello Biff!
I can assure you that there are no strings attached to this offer.

If you send AWR your old Eagleware or SystemView key, you will receive an AWR key back in return for either Microwave Office and/or Visual System Simulator.

This is a perpetual license. It does not expire. It is yours to keep forever.

The license comes with a 90 day maintenance period. After which, you may purchase a new maintenance contract for 15% of list purchase price. Please note that you are not obligated to continue the maintenance!

The only limitation on this offer, is the time you have to decide. AWR is offering this special deal only through September 15, 2005. We have had tremendous response so far and its all been word of mouth... so hurry and tell your friends who might also be interested.

So, in short, we would need your old key(s), a $0 Purchase Order (I can provide to you a $0 Quote if you need it all in writing) and a signed software license agreement.

I hope I’ve answered your question, and then some!

Vix

We at Eagleware-Elanix appreciate the opportunity this forum provides to reassure our customers on issues surrounding our acquisition by Agilent. There has been speculation about what the acquisition may mean for our customers, and there have been the predictable attempts by our competitors to portray “gloom and doom” scenarios. The best antidote for fear is facts, so here are the facts:

1) Our first concern in the acquisition was our customers. Before agreeing to the deal, we spent a lot of time discussing what will happen once it is completed. We did not sign until we were satisfied that the combination is good for our customers.

2) Agilent has no plans to “kill” Eagleware-Elanix products. Eagleware-Elanix products will continue to be offered as a separate product line. They will not be merged with Agilent products. There may be technology “cross-pollination” where synergies exist, but there will be no new monolithic combined product.

3) Eagleware-Elanix products will continue to be enhanced. In fact, with access to Agilent technology and infrastructure, customers can expect to see more new technology faster.

4) The Eagleware-Elanix product line will continue to provide the absolute best price performance available in the industry There is no plan to raise prices. In the past, Eagleware-Elanix has provided no charge upgrades for existing products to customers on maintenance and released dramatic new technology innovations as separately priced packages. This policy will continue.

5) If you have questions about the future of the products, the best source to ask is us. Please feel free to contact me directly at cmiller@eagleware.com.

6) If you still have concerns, and would like to evaluate other solutions, please contact us. We can work with you to make sure you don’t have to give up access to the GENESYS and SystemVue products you have come to rely on.

Charlie Miller
VP, Marketing
Eagleware-Elanix

Charlie

Here is part of why people are switching.

1. They think that AWR is better than your program for their particular use and take advantage of the free swap.

2. They think that a company whose sole business is simulation will respond to customer needs more fully than a company where simulation is a minor sideline.

3. They are old enough to remember many examples of mergers with good intentions not working out and the customers get mistreated.

OK.
We have Victoria from AWR, and we have Charlie from Eagleware.
We are waiting for ADS point of view. Just to make us to feel more important.

Hi,

in my modest opinion, ADS, as it is now, is like a mamut in many ways, and extinction is a meter of time. It has a lot of nominal strengths compared to competitors but in practice the strengths are more like a nightmare then a nice dream. It has Unix sickness and, after years, it become obvious it can not be cured. It needs to be rewriten completely.

So, if I were Agilent, I would buy a good, modern and successful platform. Than it can be efficiently upgraded with extensive and respectful knowledge gethered in the company (Agilent) that was only patched over patchee patches in ADS during many years. It is not that Genesys is lacking something important at this stage, but good can always be better.

If this is not the intention, I think it is the best way to satisfy everyone. Looking forward to new product that will have significantly less then 15000 files, will not need 1.5 hour to install and a separate license for almost every item in any menu.

flyhigh

Just so you know, Charlie's response was created in cooperation with @gilent. Don't take offense, but they have to be somewhat restricted in public statements right now, since they are a public company don't own us quite yet. I'm sure you'll hear more from them in the coming weeks.

Rob Lefebvre
CTO, Eagleware-Elanix

Hi All,

Obviously there have not been enough meetings on the subject yet for Agilent to "Officially" endorse the posted position. In my experience in dealing with Agilent when it comes to support, product feature requests, etc.. They all go into a big black hole. I had a friend who worked there and he was able to enlighten me as to how the operation works, everything is done by committee, look at ADS, designed by committee, you can tell. Anyway, with this modus operandi no one can say yes and everyone can say no, so often everything gets stalled in meetings, there are even meetings to prepare for meetings, REALLY!!! So for Agilent to actually post a resonse on this board would take numerous meetings, the OK from Marketing, the OK from the legal group, the OK from sales, the OK from the garbage man, etc..., hence the "I'm sure you'll hear more from them in the coming weeks" fits the timing.

Welcome to the Machine!!! Oh, what joy to look forward too...

Did anyone ever wonder why there was never and ADS 2.0 and a sudden name change to ADS 2001 8 years after the purchase of EEsof? Because 2.0 was supposed to fulfill the obligations to all of the MDS and Series IV (EEsof) customers of complete data translation and ADS having the full feature set of both MDS and Series IV. ADS never got there, still hasn't...

I'm tradin...

That's an interesting take on things. Agilent and Eagleware-Elanix have been working on this since discussions began last spring, and there have, in fact, been many meetings. We wanted to get it right. The posted position is the "official" and only position. It has been approved by all the groups you mentioned (except the garbage man). On September 13 customers will be given the chance to hear more details and ask questions of Agilent and Eagleware-Elanix management. Stay tuned for information on how you can participate.

Regards,
Charlie

Sorry Charlie.... it sounds like you're confirming everything Mr. Floyd stated.....

Q: How many Agilenot EEsof Eagleware Elanix managers does it take to screw in a light bulb?
A: I don't know but they'll get back to you after they have a few meetings and reach a consensus?

Victoria: Can’t AWR afford advertising? Why spam up this forum with your sales pitches?

Charlie, Rob: All vendors lie. People are watching what you do, not what you say.

MMIC_man, pinkfloyd2:

Q: How many AWR employees does it take to make phony posts?
A: That depends on how many e-mail accounts they have.

Heres the scoop.

AWR is just ticked that Agilent didn’t buy them. Everybody knows there trying to sell the company. To quote Mr. Spoto: “we’re always open to the right acquisition” and “Would we be open to a purchase by Magma? Sure, if Magma could afford us, that might an idea." Magma?? Magma???? At least the folks at Agilent know something about RF design. People have bought AWR because it can do a couple things Eagleware can’t and it’s easier to use than ADS. If this deal works, there toast.

If Agilent can put in some kind of link from Eagleware to ADS that works, and if they can keep the Eagleware engineers, and if they don't screw up the Eagleware software then they will rule. Those are big ifs.

I’m tired of hearing what the vendors say about this. I’d like to hear from some (real) users.

I have seen many mergers. Here is what almost always happens:

1. The smaller company has people who like working for small companies. They take their stock appreciation and move on.

2. The larger company cannot leave well enough alone and let the small company be a cash cow that is left to run itself.

a. They put their second rank lesser talented managers in the smaller company. The smaller company workers who are talented enough to get another job at another company which has higher skilled managers do so.

b. The larger company imposes its rules (which are less agreeable than the small company rules) on the smaller company which makes working conditions less entertaining and this motivates more workers to move on.

c. The larger company imposes its business goals on the small company product offerings which do not match the customer goals and they move on.

d. As a result of the above the smaller company makes less income and is closed down.

Wow, did not realize that voicing my opinion would raise such accusations... I guess we can all speculate what may or may not happen. Time will be the real judge, but, history can be used as an indicator of future behavior.

Dear flatulent,

Everybody has noticed your previous emissions and knows where you stand. Why don't you either post somthing new or just let other people post for a while?

Very interesting! Out of the blue we have a lot of newbies giving opinions on this subject and telling mods what to post or not to post. I bet we will have lots more "newbies" posting.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Welcome to EDABoard.com

Sponsor

Back