Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Advice on wiring up my 5x7 matrix/matrices

Status
Not open for further replies.

InsertCoffee

Newbie level 4
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
Hi there,

I scored a bunch of 5x7 LED matrices from eBay, for a scolling LED sign project. I found the data sheet and thought step 1 would be to familiarize myself with the pins and trying to light up individual LEDs. I've using jumper leads on my breadboard so that I cold rationalise the pinouts to a line of jumpers for rows and a separate line for columns.
So far so good, except for the fact that its ended up a mass of wires. thats fine as I'm only playing with it at the moment, but I cant see how I would scale it up to a row of these matrices to make a sign without it being a messy tangle of wires.

I dont want to use a custom PCB really for a one off, and thats a bit advanced for me at the moment anyway, but do you guys have any advice on how to arrange such a thing using stripboard so that I can address the rows/cols seperately when I come to design the rest of the electronics?

I suppose it will be helped by the fact that the required multiplexing, means rows will be wired together.

Hope that makes sense.
Thanks

Last edited:

Status
Not open for further replies.