Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Looking for advice on micro-controller choice

Status
Not open for further replies.

jpotter

Junior Member level 2
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
I have a DDS based rf generator that I have been building for about 10 years. The current controller is a bit long in the tooth. I want to replace it. My current system uses a Sage (Rabbbit) RCM3400 on an eval board. These are custom built systems with varying specs so I have relied on development boards for the builds. With a new processor I want to start with a development board. My current system has about 200 k of C code. So right off I'd like at least 512 k of programmable memory. I am time multiplexing between receiving/sending TCP/IP over Ethernet with data acquisition that monitors the phase of the field of a resonant cavity to digitally phase lock the DDS source to the cavity frequency. I originally programmed with Rabbit Dynamic C, but I found a company that had a standard ANSI C compiler for the Rabbit. They also had worked out a time multiplexing scheme and converted my Dynamic C code for a reasonable consulting fee.

In addition to Ethernet capability, I need a modest amount of digital I/O, including at least one SPI channel. The Rabbit is an 8 bit processor but handles 16 bit calculations pretty well. My problem is that there is a lot to choose from and much of what I see seems tiny, cheap, and under powered.

I also need 8 channels of 12 bit ADC. I doesn't have to be super fast, but if I could read 8 channels simultaneously that would eliminate the need for an 8 channel sample and hold circuit. I've already been looking at chips that can do that. I don't expect to find an Eval board with that capability.

I an enamored of the Xilinx Zynq 7000 system. The coupled FPGA and two processors sound ideal for my needs. My current system uses an NI9606 as an 8 channel time base with independently variable delay and pulse width. I rely on my son-in-law to do the FPGA programming. The problem is that the NI hardware and software is too expensive. However, the learning curve for the Zynq 7000 is pretty steep.

Ideally I would like to hire a consultant who can give me a kickstart on the Zynq system to the point where I can modify the C code and ultimately the FPGA. Failing that I need something that is newer and a step up from the RCM3400.

The 8 channels simultaneously, what is the sample rate you need ?

Regards, Dana.

Then consider this using SOC (single chip, includes Vref) :

1675346172246.png

The above uses its two 12 bit SARS, single ended( you can config for differential), and mux, to do
2 MSPS (each channel running at 1 MSPS). DMA handles moving results. The muxes could be the
HW controlled mux, so when EOC of SAR occurs next channel auto selected, I just got lazy. Also
available OpAmps to G up the signal path if needed, although at these speeds I would look into
settling time to 1/2 lsb of 12 bits. If needed. DSP as well....This is all a single chip solution.

Right hand window shows resources used/left, most available for other tasks.

Whats onchip, multiple copies in many cases (not shown is ARM M3 core as well) :

1675346591634.png

Compiler and IDE free (PSOC Creator), board $ 15 to start with (depending on overall I/O
needed etc..

Company is Cypress, now owned by Infineon.

Regards, Dana.

Last edited:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Welcome to EDABoard.com

Sponsor

Back