Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

A simple system to generate an up and down movement on a small characters head

Status
Not open for further replies.

gonadgranny

Member level 4
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
Hello everyone.
I want to create a small character with a head which moves up and down to give the impression of laughter.
So some sort of linear actuator.
its only a small character and so only needs a small amount of movement, maybe about 5 - 10mm.
i am wondering which is the best way to implement this.
I need to consider are the amount of power it uses. (this project will be powered by a lithium battery) so i wanna keep the power consumption down.
I also dont want to have to pay a great deal for the technology.
I was thinking of some sort of cam and motor system as that probably quite cheap and energy efficient or maybe a solenoid type actuator but these seem to use a lot of power and are heavy but simple to implement.
Any ideas would be much appreciated and any links to items on ebay for example would be great.
Thanks,
Danny

I suppose the most energy efficient system might be a pendulum, or light spring with a bouncing mass, driven by a suitably pulsed electromagnet.

Take a look at the desktop gizmos which have a dolphin swinging back and forth (or similar action). The circuit is very simple, consisting of a transistor which energizes a tapped inductor. The approaching magnet causes a brief pulse to the bias pin of the transistor, which in turn turns on the inductor, which gives the magnet a brief boost as it goes by. The swinging action continues as long as the battery lasts.

This type of motor uses little power, and does not take up much room. I believe I saw it used in an old programmable thermostat, driving the 24-hour clock dial. It was powered from a small 1.5V battery.

It could be worth counterbalancing the static weight of the head. If you are a model maker it should not be that difficult. Under the head you put a "bell crank" like a see-saw. the head is supported on one end the pivot is just that. The free end has a weight on it which you adjust until the head is at its halfway position.
Frank

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Welcome to EDABoard.com

Sponsor

Back