Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

a problem about bandgap reference

Status
Not open for further replies.

shadow_cuk

Newbie level 3
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
49_1268494124.jpg

the picture above is a classical bandgap structure,the purpose of OP is trying to make Vx and Vy equal,so my problem is could the passive port and the negative port of the OP be exchanged?WHY?

No. The op-amp inputs can not be exchanged.
Why? Otherwise, the feedback loop that ensures the Bandgap stability will not work.
For example:

If the output voltage increases (for any reason), the current increases, and consequently, there is a increase in the voltages at Vx and Vy. The increase at the negative
Input will be higher, since there is higher impedance in this node. Accordingly, the increase in the negative input will decrease the output voltage. So, you notice that the feedback acts in order to keep the output constant. What is important for the Bandgap operation.
If you exchange the inputs, this feedback I described will not work.

Regards,

Palmeiras

thanks for palmeiras's answer,I could understand.

Status
Not open for further replies.