Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

48V to 5V @ 500mA buck converter

Status
Not open for further replies.

alzomor

Advanced Member level 2
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
Hi,

I need to implement a 48v to 5V buck converter.
the load is 500mA.

I found some docs preferring to use isolated converters for high input voltage in the range of 48V.

Is it a must to use Isolated converter?
and what's the drawbacks of using non isolated converters?

The space available on the board is very small, and that's why I prefer the non isolated converter.

Best Regards
Hossam Alzomor
www()i-g()org

No, it's not ..
If there is no special reason to separate grounds between 48V-section and 5V-section, normal step-down converter should work fine ..

IanP
:D

and what could be the special reasons?

Problem with ground such as ground loop ..
Dirty/noisy power ..
.. e.t.c. ..

alzomor

Helpful Answer Positive Rating
Re: 48V to 5V @ 3A - converter [Automotive grade]

Check it; its very stable and different.

LM2575HV is a chip from National that can do it with minimum components

LM2575HV-circuits.jpg

what is tolerance on the 48V?

to my mind, 48V is OK and within the SELV regulatroy requirements..

i though it was 60VDC that was considered dangerously high, and therfore needing isolation.?

even when you go into companies, you will find that no-one knows the SELV levels......i have never found it on google either

anyway, go for synchronous buck as you have low duty

LM2575 is a low efficiency device. So if efficiency is not your concern, you can go for it. There are other options as well
LM2596 is a similiar device with some improvement in efficiency.
You can use a current mode regulator like SG3842 with an external MOSFET to get better efficiency.
For best result, as eem2am said, use a synchronous buck since you have a low duty cycle and the flyback diode in will be conducting most of the time if you use non-synch

Hi,

I need to implement a 48v to 5V buck converter.
the load is 500mA.

I found some docs preferring to use isolated converters for high input voltage in the range of 48V.

and what's the drawbacks of using non isolated converters?

The space available on the board is very small, and that's why I prefer the non isolated converter.

Best Regards
Hossam Alzomor
www()i-g()org

Hi Alzomor,

You can choose one of this controllers from TI,I hope this will help you with this **broken link removed**.

rgds,
spectrum17

---------- Post added at 07:26 AM ---------- Previous post was at 07:17 AM ----------

Here's another non-isolated controller but Vin(max) is limited to 40V.Hope this will helps.

https://focus.ti.com/lit/ds/symlink/mc33063a.pdf

rgds,
spectrum17

I found a good system on chip from Mornsun

salam
Hossam Alzomor
www()i-g()org
**broken link removed**

Hi guys, i am new to this forum and most others, so i must say another great forum to help others.
I also have a need for a switchmode converter from 48V. i need a diagram for a 48V (max 60V fully charged) to +12V and - 12V Isolated switching converter. It is to be used with my solar and wind power MPPT controllers. The current required is only about 100mA max, as it only supplies 6 op amps. It has to be isolated to avoid shorts and ground loops. So i only need a diagram for the power supply section like Alzomor, but space is not so much of a problem. I am OK with linear supplies but not switchers. I could probably tap +12V off the +48V battery but of course not the -12V. I could get away with -5V also. I have seen the diagram posted using LM2575, but this is not isolated.

Regards
Leon

I bet some of Vicor's new postage stamp sized DC-DCs
would be a whole lot easier than rolling your own.

Status
Not open for further replies.