Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

1+3 digits BCD adder/subtracter

Status
Not open for further replies.

buffalo101

Newbie level 5
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
Hi,

I'm resuming my project of making a 4x4 bits BCD adder/subtracter.

The first nibble will be either 0 (positive) / 1 (negative), followed by 3 more bits for holding 3 digits. I have some left over schematics since last time I wanted to complete this: I have a full 1 digit BCD adder with CIn / COut, but I can only work with positive numbers. Any suggestions on how to accomplish 1+3 digits addition/subtraction?

Edit: I will design the circuitry for this. My approach would probably be this:

Since I already have a ModeSelect signal implemented, I could work around that. I would use both the numbers' sign and a comparer circuit to position them in a fashion that suits my existing circuit. Currently, if I select a subtraction, the second digit's complement is added to the first digit.

a) If the numbers are both positive, regular addition (5+3).
b) If one of the numbers is negative, subtract the smaller number from the bigger number by adding the negative number's complement to the first number (-3 + 5 = 5-3 ; -5 + 3 = 3 - 5) (???)
c) If both the numbers are negative, regular addition with a negative sign.

Last edited:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Welcome to EDABoard.com

Sponsor

Back