Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Can you connect NC pin of 3 pin diode?

Hi,

NC means internally not connected. So in first place I don´t see a problem in connecting it. (But read below)

However, I don´t see how connecting an NC pin can improve clearance.

Now that you talk about clearance, I guess it has to do with some safety regulations.
If so, then you need to consider high voltage on this NC pin. And the datasheet does not guarantee any safety isolation distances.

So when we talk about any safety distances, then I don´t recomment to connect the NC pin to anything.

Klaus

Thanks, i need to route to the cathode pin...and at the moment, am having to swerve round the NC pin, which is bringing me close to a track of high voltage elewhere, so i want to just route right through the NC pin, and so then to avoid getting design rule errors in layout, i want to just connect the track to this pin, on its way through this pin to the cathode.

I know it's probably the most common diode on Earth but also consider what might happen if you had to use a substitute and the NC pin on the replacement was internally connected. If you do route through it, make sure you document it to prevent problems in the future.

Brian.

I say that it is OK. The maximum reverse voltage of the diode is 75V, so the internal isolation of the NC pin must only handle 75V if it is connected to the cathode pin.It will also work if a dual diode is mounted, as long as the "used" diode has the same direction as the one in MMBD4148.

LaTeX Commands Quick-Menu:

Part and Inventory Search

Welcome to EDABoard.com

Sponsor

Back