Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

[SOLVED] zener diode as clipper.. please help

Status
Not open for further replies.

electroboy

Member level 5
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
hi... i am studying the use of zener diode as clipper.. i saw the following image in wikipedia....

when the input is positive, it is okay..
my doubt is that when the input is negative , won't the zener be forward biased giving rise to only -0.7v in the output , like the following image ??

91_1305683312.png

please help as soon as possible.. i have a test tomorrow.. thanks in advance

Yes you are right zener diode is same as ordinary diode except that it can be operated in reverse biased mode because it is doped differently so that it does not destruct in reverse breakdown. See the pictures below

According to zener reverse bias condition it has a range of voltage in which conduction takes place(values like 4.1,5.2 etc).It will clip the corresponding voltage in its reverse bias condition.
Also it works as ordinary diode in its forward bias.

The image from the Wikipedia article ) is simply wrong. The waveform belongs to a different circuit, not shown in the schematic: a back-to-back series circuit of a zener and a regular diode.

thank you all very much... hope i will perform well tomorrow..

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Welcome to EDABoard.com

Sponsor

Back