Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Your advice: Surface mount vs through hole.

Status
Not open for further replies.

JoKKeR

Full Member level 2
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
Hi,

I have to make a choice that is to take right way, it takes some experience and knowledge. The things i admit to lack at this point. I had drawn simplest amplifier circuit board using plain CAD software back in the old days. The requirements and responsibility is way up high and i do not know that i can make right choice without some advice and help. :D

Description:
Probably circuit board will be in 2 parts. 1. for char. LCD & push buttons and 2. will be MCU, ICs, Terminal blocks, connectors... . So, some true-hole parts and choice in SM parts. + dilemma that i could save some $, by replacing some parts and ICs to SM ones that do not have true-hole choice.

Skeem.JPG

The problem:
I have to design a gerber files to send off for order. Never done it and have very little idea how this process flows. Questions related to design as:
-Simply 2 sides, ground plane, layers?
-How does affect design existence of SM parts. (cost, production effort, ...)

Really do not know what to expect... I hope i can find some advice and direction on how to proceed.

Thank you in advance!

For terminal blocks, push buttons, etc. the choice is usually set by physical shape and strength. SMD may save you PCB space, but not always if you have vertical room to spare. SMD usually makes a cheaper smaller PCB because of fewer holes. Many newer parts are SMD only. Troubleshooting a new design may be easier if things are bigger.

Reactions: JoKKeR

JoKKeR

Helpful Answer Positive Rating
I would say 2 sides to keep cost down. If you want a ground plane then try to route only on one side as much as possible so most of the rest can be ground. Some prototype PCB manufacturers will accept PCB files (e.g. PCB Pool) so that will minimise the risk of errors making the Gerber and drill files.

Keith

Reactions: JoKKeR

JoKKeR

Helpful Answer Positive Rating
Keith and SheraDoug, Thank you!

You replies brought some sense to my problem.
So little as i know round plane is to reduce noise right? + it will make routing easier, but it will increase cost. I feel like i can pass tease two benefits? or should i choose it?

Mainly... What will it change if i willl add SM-parts into mix? the board space inst issue, i believe... but i can choose some cheaper parts with only SM choice.

What would you do if you wanted to play it out safe, easy and fault proof.

I like to head your opinions and use your help. I believe i need more of advice and reinstatement that is backed with simple explanation. So change my mind i would believe your liking. :D

Thank you in advance!

You are more likely to be able to do a single sided board with through hole parts. It can be done with surface mount but the tracking might have to be fine and it is unlikely with any fine pitch devices.

Ground planes help to reduce radiated EMI in systems with clocks and improve susceptibility to EMI with analogue circuitry when designed correctly. Power/ground planes only really make routing easier if you have more than 2 layers. With 2 layers you have to work at trying to keep one layer free for the ground plane. That means hopping off the ground plane layer whenever possible even if you could have stayed on the ground plane layer otherwise you can end up chopping the ground plane in half.

This is an example with two layers, mixed surface mount & through hole. There are actually three separate sections of circuitry each with their own ground plane on this board but the same method could be used if they were all joined together. As you can see, there is very little tracking on the blue side.

Keith.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Welcome to EDABoard.com

Sponsor

Back