Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Xilinx Spartan 3E - where to start? Online examples needed

Status
Not open for further replies.

akohan

Newbie level 2
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
Where to start?

Hello group,

I just have bought a Xilinx Spartan 3E and need to start the coding. Where should I start it?

I have done some design/programming using VHDL on D@ from Altera but new to Xilinx platform. any advice or suggestions will be appreciated.

Is there series of steps or online examples that I can follow as warm up?

Thanks,
Amit

Re: Where to start?

The (free) Xilinx WebPack ISE has some examples included.
From the menu, under 'File' select 'Open example...'.
The ISE also includes some references to online tutorials (Menu -> 'Help' -> Tutorials -> ...)

Thank you so much for the heads up. One thing I need to ask is where can I learn on how to download a code on a Spartan 3E?

Regards,
Amit

The VHDL compiler generates typically a .bit or .jed file (depending on if we are dealing with FPGA or CPLD).

The actual programming is done using the JTAG port of the FPGA/CPLD. For this you, obviously, need a JTAG programmer.
If you have a complete Xilinx development package, including such a JTAG programmer/adapter, then the whole compilation and programming is done from within the ISE.
If you don't use a Xilinx supported JTAG adapter then you have to use the software of your own JTAG adapter, and use the generated .bit/.jed file.

In some case such a development package can include some other means of programming the FPGA/CPLD. You have to check the manual of the development package for this.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Welcome to EDABoard.com

Sponsor

Back