Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Xilinx Download Cable III or IV schematic

Status
Not open for further replies.

ASIC

Full Member level 3
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
xilinx parallel cable iv schematic

Anyone has the Xilinx Download Cable III or IV schematic? I need to program CoolRunner using the web-pack software, but there is no mention about the download cable.

ASIC

xilinx download cable

I did check Google, but the designs there have a few flaws or unknowns.

First the Cable III schematic I found on google is identical to the Cable II schematic from Xilinx Website. I'll download the pdf from the link you gave me to verify that. Thanks :)

The newer Xilinx chip are 2.5V (or 1.8V) devices. Can the buffer in the download cable run at 1.8V and still drive the parallel port? I guess I can whack a +5V adaptor onto the VCC_SENSE line, and change the drivers to discrete transistors?

Also, exactly how does the software recognize the download cable? Does it use the PROG-DONE loop? I see some pins connected together on the parallel port connector (pin 8, 11, 12). Are these the same on both cable III and IV?

So, to answer these questions, it would be better to get the Cable IV schematic, or simply build something and hope it works :)

N.B. What about the Xilinx ChipScope? Can it work with Cable III?

ASIC

xilinx parallel cable iii

Hello Asic,

I'm sorry, I don't know a lot of these download cables. I uesd one for a 3.3V CPLD and it was working perfect.

By,
cube007

xilinx parallel cable schematic

I think you can't build Download Cable IV on your own. Read this:
**broken link removed**

Mik

parallel cable iv schematic

i printed the followig link 'http://www.xilinx.com/publications/products/hardware/xc_cable4.htm' to the attached pdf-file. it explains the differences between parallel cable III and IV.

parallel cable iv xilinx

ASIC said:
Anyone has the Xilinx Download Cable III or IV schematic? I need to program CoolRunner using the web-pack software, but there is no mention about the download cable.

ASIC

Motorola issued a better circuit with its PCB layout and a very good description.. have a look on,

h**p://wvvw.hc08.cz/attachments/parallel_cc_um.pdf

regards
meshmesh

xilinx parallel port schematic

This forum just end up saying you can not! (Build a cable IV) ?
So it seems the only way is to buy one from Xilinx (US$100) ?

If I am mistaken, please correct me.

Happy new year all
:)

M!k said:
I think you can't build Download Cable IV on your own. Read this:
**broken link removed**

Mik

parallel iv cable schematic

yes u must purchase them. xilinx is in no mood to loose that handsome amount go away.
hock

xilinx download cable iii

Hi ASIC,

Most of the Xilinx FPGA and CPLD use an independent I/O power for Jtag and configuration interface . So it doesn't matter how the process goes down. We often use 3.3v for these I/O pins.

The main issue is the CPLD on the Cable IV. I guess it drive a byte every strobe cycle to the CPLD. and CPLD serialize the byte to FPGA in slave serial mode. So it will perform at least 10x faster than the Cable III.

xilinx parallel dongle schematic

I think a level shifter like 74HC4050 might do the necessary level shift from 5V logic to 2.5Vlogic, but what about the lower voltages like 1.2v systems? (HC4050 works down to 1.9V!)

Hi
This is B.V.K the cable parallel 3 that was given in the schematic is absolute and i have assembled and tested it. It does not contain any flaw more over there is no need of putting exact values of resistors like 300E and 100E also. More over the powr supply for 74HC125 can be from 2.5 to 6. I am applying 2.5. the diodes that are any schottky ones wiht lower fb voltage i ve put 1N5818 ofcourse it has a bit higher fwd voltage but my cable is working fine.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Welcome to EDABoard.com

Sponsor

Back