Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Writing Linux programs from Windows

Status
Not open for further replies.

embeddedlover

Full Member level 5
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
I am new to linux and i want to get used to linux command set.
I want a IDE which can be installed in windows from which i can practice linux programs.

Can somebody suggest some IDE along with compilers that can be installed in windows...

I do not know what you mean by linux programs.
But you can Install Cygwin or Mingw to get the GNU tool chain for windows and use Eclipse as an IDE.
--
Amr Ali

I agree with Amraldo, the Cygwin system can provide a a way to familiarize with the Unix way of life. You can also consider using a "live" distribution which does everything from a bootable CD or DVD.
If you are expecially seeking a programming language, it depends on your needs. You can write a reasonably portable command line tool by using standard C/C++ and there are many libraries out there for the GUI part.
I worked on a small multiplatform EDA program (which I uploaded it a few days ago on edaforum) and I used and appreciated very much Java.

Try Lazarus!!
What is Lazarus?
Lazarus is the class libraries for Free Pascal that emulate Delphi. Free Pascal is a GPL'ed compiler that runs on Linux, Win32, OS/2, 68K and more. Free Pascal is designed to be able to understand and compile Delphi syntax, which is of course OOP. Lazarus is the part of the missing puzzle that will allow you to develop Delphi like programs in all of the above platforms. Unlike Java which strives to be a write once run anywhere, Lazarus and Free Pascal strives for write once compile anywhere. Since the exact same compiler is available on all of the above platforms it means you don't need to do any recoding to produce identical products for different platforms.

More information

Thank you for your suggestions
im using CYGWIN just to get acquinted with linux command set.....
i have configured my textpad to compile my programs...

Please try using Eclipse IDE as well.
--
Amr Ali

If you're going to start writing programs in Linux I would suggest VIM (or any other text editor you prefer), and GCC. I think you will better appreciate and understand how it all works :)

What about use a virtual machine (like virtualbox, for example) and then install linux on that?
However, GNU/Linux is in most cases POSIX compliant, so write code for that systems means write POSIX compliant code.
You can also write platform indipendent code, using portable toolkit like Qt and framework like Boost C++.
If you want to write Java code, you need only a jvm and your code will run on all platform.

Good luck.

There was once a free release of Delphi-V3 - I dont know if its still available - which of course is windows native but I found the previously mentioned free pascal compiled its code very well. (I actually had D3 C/S but used the free release for home stuff)

At the time this gave me the control of a windows based IDE with the ability
to produce linux code. I wasn't at all impressed by lazarus. Nice idea but poorly
implemented.

I looked at Eclipse but just found it absurd.

Free Pascal is really impressive but desperately need a "nice" IDE.

jack

Has anyone tryed Mono and Linux? I am trying to enable monodevelop to develop .NET applications that will run under Windows too, but I don't seem to understand how to make it work..

Well If you are fond of TC kind of IDE then You can use RHIDE for compiling programs in C, C++.

Well for the learning Linux: remeber You can't fly a Fighter jet Even if You are an expert In Combat Video Games.

You can't cross the Ocean by standing on the shore.

BOTTOMLINE: Install a Linux Distro Ubuntu,Fedora,Debian on your system.

Cheers.

If you want to practice Linux then experiment on the real thing, install VirtualBox which is free and create a virtual machine to install linux and experiment in the safety of the windows environment without having the fear that if something goes wrong you will not be able to boot or something, get used to the linux OS and use its tools.
You can even install multiple linux distribution to decide which one you like better.
Snapshots are vary useful, you can store the current state , do what you want and if you need return to that snapshot and everything reverts as it was when the snapshot was taken.
This is how i learned to multiboot, fix boot sectors, partitioning and backup programs etc.

Alex

I have UBUNTU installed on my PC.....
I have also installed Anjutha IDE for C/C++...
I had only GCC compiler integrated and don't have G++ compiler...
How can i include G++ in Anjutha?

I have UBUNTU installed on my PC.....
I have also installed Anjutha IDE for C/C++...
I had only GCC compiler integrated and don't have G++ compiler...
How can i include G++ in Anjutha?

If you have installed GCC tool chain then by default g++ is installed, unless if you have selected not to install g++ while installing.
Now tell are you able to execute g++ from the command line?
if yes then from anjuta "File->New> -> project"
in the window there will be tabs for "C, C++, JS, Java"
you have to select C++ for your project.
this tab has Generic C++, GTKmm and WxWidget"
select your project option.

Hope this helps.

Ya G++ has to be installed by default but i could not find G++ folder in bin...
I am unable to execute from command line & it was throwing an error, i checked that folder...
Now i want to include G++ in Anjutha is it possible? or i have to start with whole setup again....?

I am unable to execute from command line & it was throwing an error
Well g++ in smalls should be executed for the command line. and it is present in /usr/bin try executing it from any directory.
You should not execute it in /usr/bin only.
If it executes then you be assured that you have a working g++ NOT G++

Now i want to include G++ in Anjutha is it possible? or i have to start with whole setup again....?
NO waht you have to do is use your package manager like "yum" in fedora and RHEL or apt-get in Debian and derived distribution.
As you mentioned UBUNTU, you should use synaptic/dpkg. I am sure you have a GUI package manager in UBUNTU.
Use it to add g++ to your instalation.

Hope it will solve your purpose.

Status
Not open for further replies.