Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Working on MotherBoard Design

Status
Not open for further replies.

firasgany7

Junior Member level 1
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
I started working as a Hardware Design Engineer for a company that manufactures Industrial PC's.
As part of my work, I will have to design a motherboard schematic using OrCAD, then send this schematic to someone who can implement the Layout.

Right now I took a course in Udemy that introduces beginners for how to work with OrCAD to build a schematic of Arduino.

regarding Industrial PC's, I'm working on a project that includes CFL-H BGA 1440 CPU and CNP CM246 PCH.

I need to know if there is a course\tutorial\book that can give me a a thorough explanation of how to design a motherboard.
right now I studied about Communication Protocols such as: PCIE, I2C, UART, SPI, and I know the different components that should be connected my motherboard.
I still lack the ability of seeing the whole picture, and how everything must be connected together on Schematic Level.
I think I need to see one instructed example step by step in order to know how to make the design by myself.

I hope you can share some information regarding topic.

Hi,

Usually the chip manufacturer provides this information. (Design notes)
Just look at their web site or do an internet search.
You may also contact them directly, maybe those documents are not public.

And: designing a modern PC motherboard is way more difficult than designing an arduino hardware PCB.
If you don't have detailed experience ... I'd say it's no good idea.

Klaus

Hi,

Usually the chip manufacturer provides this information. (Design notes)
Just look at their web site or do an internet search.
You may also contact them directly, maybe those documents are not public.

And: designing a modern PC motherboard is way more difficult than designing an arduino hardware PCB.
If you don't have detailed experience ... I'd say it's no good idea.

Klaus
I must say that right at the beginning, I'm not going to start a design from scratch, but add some features to existing design, I will not be doing everything by myself and of course there are engineers who are going to help.
I was just looking for sources to enrich my knowledge and be familiar with all the acronyms\protocols\components that should be used in the design in order to make my learning process more efficient.

Intel has complete reference designs for their processors and chipsets. Your company should have access to it.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Welcome to EDABoard.com

Sponsor

Back