Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

[SOLVED] Woking practices with 240 VAC

Status
Not open for further replies.

peterlonz

Newbie level 3
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
During the course of re-wiring a domestic Chinese 3 speed fan with remote control - the damned thing has stopped working as far as I can tell due to the controller IC having failed.
I began to realise as I planned to convert to manual operation, that I have not ever properly addressed 240VAC sound practice issues:
1) Is it OK to hook up with multi strand cable if the conductor size is adequate, OR is there an insulation spec that would determine essentially "AC rated cable only"?
2) Can I use low voltage insulated connectors; insulated crimp connectors, insulated crimp spade terminals, through connect insulated terminal block strips etc. I use these regularly & see in mains appliances what appear to be identical components; again however should they be specially rated for the task?
3) Whilst I note good practice usually determines that AC switches are DP, so that phase & neutral can be simultaneously switched. Is this a mandated requirement in all countries/states? If not then smaller switches can be used where space is an issue, correct. I am pretty sure the issue of switch rating has been covered before, in any case most switches show several ratings.
4) The fan I disassembled had a 1.6 amp fuse on the PCB. Although the PCB converted AC to DC control voltage using a 275VAC, 1.0uF, X2 rated cap; and I assume current inrush might be a problem - surely for a fan of max power about 60 watts, this fuse (not blown BTW) was over rated.
Is there a generally applied "rule" when deciding fuse ratings, I have generally previously simply allowed about 30% above max rating & used a slow blow.

Comment & help with some or all of the above much appreciated.
Thanks

Status
Not open for further replies.