Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Wired short, only appears 5-10 seconds after power is connected

Status
Not open for further replies.

podoljano

Junior Member level 2
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
Hi guys, im having a quite wired problem witch my pcb. when i power it up it steadily ramps up its current consumption. when approximatly 10-15 seconds go by the current consumed is around 0.5A(thats where i have to switch it off.), where it should only be around 0.1-2A. The board atm only contains a few voltage regulators one small acclerometer, caps and resistors. I have checked the resistance between ground and vcc, and it goes off scale on my multimeter, so it seems that there is no short. i tried making some resistance meassurements on my caps, and they seem fine, the lowest resistance i got was in the 15Kohm range. and i have yet to find a shortet resistor. this problems seems very strange, especially because the current ramps up like that. do any of you guys have some ideas on how this can be, or how i can try to solve this problem? maybe instability in the regluators or something else?

Sounds like you've got something wired wrong. Maybe not a short, but something backwards. Check your cap polarity, etc.

Problem solved! it was a bad cap.. thanks for the advise!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Welcome to EDABoard.com

Sponsor

Back