Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Windows Embedded: XP or CE?

Status
Not open for further replies.

jur

Newbie level 1
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
Hello!

I was developed CPU board based on 16-bit microcontroller and everything was fine. But now I must begin using more powerful hardware: something like VIA EPIA N-Series Nano-ITX mainboard or same. This is the complete PC-compatible hardware with all usually used I/O. My developed device will have graphic screen (SVGA monochrom or color), keyboard, mouse and some external interface -- Ethernet and/or USB.

So, it is good idea to use Windows Embedded OS as the device's operating system and my own application program running under this OS. But one problem exists: I'm newbe in Windows Embedded, and I can't make right decision. As far as I know, the Windows Embedded family includes two OS: Windows CE and Windows XP Embedded. Each OS have its own pluses and minuses.

Can anyone explain me the major differencies of this two operating systems?

As far as I know, Windows CE is smaller, but Windows XP Embedded is more compatible with standard Windows XP Professional (program development is simpler). My device will be not so difficult: I must read some blocks of data from ADC board, make some calculations and display results in graphical form on screen. Program's graphical user interface is not difficult also (some work mode change buttons, few drop-down lists, few input fields).

1.XPE is not a real-time os but CE 3.0+ is a real-time os.
2.any program executed on win2k/xp could be run on xpe without recompile but CE can only accepted
embedded visualC++/visual basic app if not using dotNet tech.

Regards

The realtime on EmbeddedXP can be emulated by using the drivers developed for common Windows XP.

If I am wrong about the XP driver portability on EmbeddedXP, please correct me.

djolestojic said:
The realtime on EmbeddedXP can be emulated by using the drivers developed for common Windows XP.

If I am wrong about the XP driver portability on EmbeddedXP, please correct me.

Yes!you can write a driver for real-time application.But how real-time it is?
If deterministic real-time app is consider like motion control,a hard real-time
system should be implemented.
Unfortunately,XPE is not a deterministic real-time os if no real-time extionsion
had installed to modify it's scheduling subsystem.
Writing a ring 0 driver can only reduce some ISR Latency but cannot reduce time delay araise by context switching and scheduling.

Please correct me if any mistake.Thanks

Regards,

Choose a Product
Windows CE and Windows XP Embedded differ primarily in regard to processor support, real-time support, application portability, and footprint. Read more about how to determine the platform you should use.
Here is right link from Microsoft:
h**p://msdn.microsoft.com/embedded/getstart/choose/choose/default.aspx

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Welcome to EDABoard.com

Sponsor

Back