Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Win boot from USB disk

Status
Not open for further replies.

turttle

Member level 2
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
winboot usb

I'm trying to run WinXP from an USB disk but it seems more dificult than it seems at first insight. The more serious flaw should come from the fact that BIOS support booting relies on, it's supossed it's broken when windows tries to deal with USB ports managing them by itself (enumeration...)

I know a solution but not intended for standard win resources usage: BartPE (www.nu2.nu/pebuilder/) can make a compact XP installation suitable to boot from CD/DVD or USB flash stick, but the problem is that it runs in a raw mode (SO boots as read only) and can't be dinamically adjusted/extended.

I think about 2 possible solutions:

1. Discard bios support and give a driver to windows in installation process much the same as with some SCSI cards. This should avoid later conflicts but I don't know of that sort of driver for usb.

2. Tweak windows usb support to avoid conflicts with bios usb setings.

Any idea about?

Cheers ;-)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Welcome to EDABoard.com

Sponsor

Back