Status
Not open for further replies.

ChrisHansen2Legit2Quit

Member level 2
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
I'm 6 blocks away from campus & probably 4 blocks out of range. I'm a student at the university so I do have the security code.

I'm only 1st year EE, so I'm looking for advice. I can follow a schematic, but lack theory of operation that many of you have.

Options?

There may be a high-gain directional antenna available, designed for your operating frequency. Here in Chaska, Minnesota, we have community wi-fi. The antenna is a $45 add-on component, when we need to boost the signal.

If you're lucky you'll have line of sight to a university network hub which is positioned near a window.

Or, try to find out if the university can provide for you to get on a VPN (virtual private network), via your normal internet hookup.

Thanks BradtheRad. This is located in Mankato, MN

*There is a fence behind my house that runs up a ravine directly to campus.

I know you can tether off a smart phone, but I'm rocking a flip yet & I'm near positive my mate only has 3G ...if that's an issue?

See, this is where I get stupid. I didn't know the "cantenna" could be used on the receiving end. I was under the impression that you could only use it to direct the output signal.

Like,

You get X output from the router in every direction (x,y,z axis). So if you direct it, you're getting the same output but within a much smaller area. Inverse sq law may apply here.

I don't understand how antenna gain works on the input side.

Maybe a yagi antenna can help assuming your wifi accepts RP-SMA plug

Gain : 20 dBi
Vertical lobe width : 23°
Horizon lobe width : 26°

You can get in in ebay for about $10

Status
Not open for further replies.
Cookies are required to use this site. You must accept them to continue using the site. Learn more…