Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Wifi LAN card external control

Status
Not open for further replies.

gemgem

Newbie level 1
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
Is there a way to control the wifi card available in laptops ? I mean can the transmission be some how controlled externally? (i am pursuing a project in spectrum sensing . I want to use laptop(s) as primary users and secondary users which can be controlled by fpga and sensing the spectrum by seperate built up rf front -end. i have not gone into the actual building of the system.)

thanks to anyone who gives insight. I am new to edaboard too (had an account; left it unused; now realising its importance:)) . but this is fun and pretty useful stuff.
Thanks administrators - wonderful website.

Last edited:

Do you mean use the wifi cards as sensors?

You can get "special" cards that are useful for wi-fi measurements (intended to figure out coverage blackspots). I'm sure they are not cheap.
You can also develop your own analyzer, using a TI/Chipcon device, essentially using the RSSI indication from these devices. See here.

If you mean can you use the wifi cards as conventional cards, but controlled from a different device (not laptop), then yes that is possible too if you can find a chipset that is popular. Some early 802.1b wifi cards have source code which you could glean from either Linux source code or elsewhere. I guess other wifi standards are possible too, but I've never looked.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Welcome to EDABoard.com

Sponsor

Back