Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Wifi and Ethernet module

Status
Not open for further replies.

zejulios

Newbie level 6
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
Hello,

In my project I have to use ethernet network, either by ethernet cable, or Wifi.
I'll use HTTP client, since my board will access a webpage.

I need two modules (one with ethernet, other with wifi) that uses the same firmware, and comunicate with my micro (UART/SPI/I2C), so I can easly change from a wireless to wired system without too much code change.
It should be as small and cheap as possible, and it will work on batteries.

What are the suggestions?

Thanks,

The question is quite vague.
In general, If you are using HTTP, you are at pretty high level vs. bothering to ethernet or WiFi. You would be using API's provided by the networking stack and won't need to directly call anything related to WiFi/Ethernet.

If you are looking for a board, where you'll do bulk of the development, check this out
https://www.lantronix.com/device-networking/embedded-device-servers/xpico-wifi.html

You have failed to mention the specific microcontroller you are utilizing.

Typically Ethernet/WiFi modules fall into two major categories, those with embedded TCP/IP stacks or those which require external software TCP/IP stacks.

Obviously, those requiring a software TCP/IP stack, largely depends on the availability of a software TCP/IP stacks which compatible with your specific microcontroller.

Also, software TCP/IP stacks can require significant system resources, typically Cycles, Flash, RAM and EEPROM storage.

In contrast, those devices with embedded TCP/IP stacks, can require far less system resources as they require only simple commands to configure and receive/transmit data, HTTP pages, etc.

Many of the modules with embedded TCP/IP stacks utilize a standard TTL asynchronous serial interface (UART).

Of course if your microcontroller only has a single UART, you will most likely need to employ an analog multiplexer to switch from one module to another.

There are some modules which offer an SPI interface as well as an embedded TCP/IP stack, if your microcontroller offers an onboard hardware SPI module.

BigDog

I'm using microchip PIC18F family controllers.
I'm looking for Wifi and cable modules with TCP/IP stack builtin, so I can free my microcontroller resources.
I'm looking for a device that handles HTTP requests, and I only need to configure, ip/dhcp and access point and the module deal with the network himself.
Microchip has RN171 modules that does that on wifi, I want to use one like that for cable ethernet.
They should use the same commands so I wont have to make much changes on my firmware.

Thanks.

Check WHZ9188. It comes preloaded with Stack .

And what about the same for ethernet cable?

Tjamls-

Digi Connect is what I'm looking for, it has Wifi and cable in the same form/pinout, but they are too expensive, the cost around 90% of my budget for my product :(...

Digi Connect is what I'm looking for, it has Wifi and cable in the same form/pinout, but they are too expensive, the cost around 90% of my budget for my product :(...

What is your budget for the "networking" section?

Unfortunately, modules with Embedded TCP/IP Stacks are typically more expensive than the modules which require Software TCP/IP Stacks, which in turn typically requires more processor resources, etc.

BigDog

I'm currently working with the MRF24WB0 from microchip (STACK on microcontroller) and I have a 15-20€ budget for that.
I can reach 50€ for an embedded solution that share the same pinout/firmware on Wifi or Ethernet.

I'm currently working with the MRF24WB0 from microchip (STACK on microcontroller) and I have a 15-20€ budget for that.
I can reach 50€ for an embedded solution that share the same pinout/firmware on Wifi or Ethernet.

It's certainly doable.

You might want to checkout the WIZnet link in my previous reply.

**broken link removed**

**broken link removed**

BigDog

This can be on option.
It only lacks the same pinout on both, needing to have 2 footprints on my board.
I'll take a closer look, thanks!

If you require both to utilize the SPI interface, look for modules based on the W5100/W5200 chipsets:

**broken link removed**

Or if you are up for the task, you can simply incorporate the chipsets into your design:

**broken link removed**

There are examples projects concerning circuit design with the W5100/W5200 chipsets

BigDog

Status
Not open for further replies.